Another example of transparency?

HUD to rental policy groups: Sign agreement, stay quiet

Obama administration officials told a group of housing proponents this month that they must sign a confidentiality agreement to continue participating in talks — a highly unusual request that has drawn criticism from a top Republican lawmaker who is investigating the matter.

The agreement, obtained by POLITICO, bars participants from disclosing details discussed at meetings of a rental policy working group, but it has angered some lobbyists and drawn congressional scrutiny.

“How can they go around and pat themselves on the back as the most transparent administration in history and then turn around and ask lobbyists to sign nondisclosure agreements to keep their meetings secret,” said a lobbyist whose organization was at the Feb. 4 meeting. “It’s like extortion. We’re not going to be able to do our jobs unless we have secret meetings with them.”

Republican Rep. Judy Biggert, the chairwoman of the House Financial Services subcommittee that oversees HUD, received a copy of the nondisclosure agreement from a source who did not attend the meeting, said spokesman Zachary Cikanek.

“If it’s true that the administration is requiring nondisclosure agreements, then HUD has some very serious explaining to do,” he said. “This type of gag order represents a compete reversal of the administration’s own well-publicized transparency standards and I’m confident the congresswoman will seek immediate answers from HUD as to why industry participants are being told to keep quiet if they want a seat at the table.”

www.politico.com/news/stories/0211/49696.html#ixzz1EWN6i43g

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 12:27 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I find this a perfect example of the transparency this administration has with it's own administration. They seem to only want to make things clear about past administrations. JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:50 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• it's 'transparent' that they are liars as usual.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 12:52 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Well, I suppose they are using a new definition for transparency....because Obama wouldn't lie would he????
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:15 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Boy, Obama and his people really do have their little fingers all over the unions and every community based program, don't they?! I think the only thing transparent about Obama and his administration is the fact that he is the president of the unions and community organizations!!

When he starts taking an interest in the REST of the citizens of this country, then MAYBE I'll start to respect him and his title! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:14 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Makes you wonder what they are trying to hide this time that they do not want us to know about.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I agree with ALL OF THE ABOVE!!! (1-5)
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 4:10 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• It makes me so sad and damn angry that this admin is doing stuff like this and most people think it's okay.

This is NOT politics as usual. No admin has acted this way. And you know darn well if any republican president did this they'd be investigating him six ways to Sunday and holding impeachment hearings.

DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 5:06 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• If the discussions are not part of national security, my gov't owes the citizens free and open access anything and everything being said, gestured, signed with ASL, signed with pens, grunted, or whispered. I am so sick of the 'behind closed doors' deals.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:29 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• WOW...what a surprise!!!
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 1:18 AM on Feb. 21, 2011