Getting rid of mice with a half a double...the other side looks like they may be hoarders

Without chemicals...any ideas? I've been able to clear out the entire house, except the downstairs wall we share in the front of the house, using mouse traps and peppermint oil.

There's a nest in the front room, in the wall we share, I can't seem to kill ANY of them, or make them go away with the peppermint oil, (which I like to toss around and chant in a mock exorcism) I can hear them. It's making me insane.

Any ideas? I will not use poison.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:35 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• There are alot of ways to get rid of them. This page has some ideas.
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/homemade-mouse-trap.html

Answer by gemgem at 12:38 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Get a cat.
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 12:39 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• A cat will kill more than the mice. It will kill me. On the upside, I won't be worried about mice anymore.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Awww...slow death by constipation? eeekkkk....
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• i was going to say a cat too but sounds like your are prolly allergic to them. have you tried putting peanut butter on the traps? they love peanut butter.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 12:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• LOL yeah but its safe. There are other kinds out there too. Just google it. I have a problem once a year because we live on a farm and its just par for course. I dont use poison when I can get away with it. I also owned a pest control company way back when and I know how dangerous those chemicals can be. The bad part though if they die in the walls it will smell REALLY bad.

Answer by gemgem at 12:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I just use the wooden traps with peanut butter on them. Does the people on the other side know about them? Sounds like they need to set traps on their side too...
    MommaRoxanne

Answer by MommaRoxanne at 12:52 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Well the bad news is if you share a wall with neighbors who are hoarders, you might never get rid of them, I have had luck with those sticky traps, but freaks me out to kill them when they get stuck on them, regular traps with peanut butter, or cat food (wet) work pretty good. You might want to call the health department on your neighbor, or the landlord if you rent, mice are huge disease carriers, and can make you and your family really sick,, if the other half of the house is full of droppings and what not your family is breathing in some of that junk!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:52 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• If you rent: call the landlord. He can negotiate with the neighbors and pay for a netuarl extreminator to come and take the mice away.
    If you own: telk to your neighbors. If it is in a shared wall, have them pay half of the extermination fee.
    If you have a homeowners association: Call them if your neighbor is unwilling to help. It is also a liability for them, and they can help resolve issues.
    If your neighbor is a really bad hoarder . . . call the fire department and report it. They will come to check out the unit, and put some rules in place. If it is unsafe for the, it is unsafe for you, as well, so it is to your benefit to get them to clean up.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• We keep "Tom Cat" glue traps in our garage near the garage and back yard doors--as field mice seem to like our location!! We've caught at least a dozen over the past 2 years. The glue traps make disposal easy--just be sure to wear heavy gardening gloves as they often only get partially stuck. Unfortunately a couple of chipmunks met an early fate. :o(

I would set the traps behind the refrigerator, in the laundry room, under/behind your stove, in closets, and/or wherever you have pipes or hoses that come through the floor from the basement or exterior wall. You can get the traps at Home Depot or Lowes. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:29 PM on Feb. 20, 2011