This just got me thinking????

So every time the economy is bad every one seems to complain about the poor people being or using PA, and they seem to think that all of the country's problems are due to those who are poor and using these programs to get BY. My question is this, why do we feel that way??? What makes poor people the cause of the country's financial problems???

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 12:38 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• In the last Congress, spending for the needy absorbed the majority of spending cuts, while corporate welfare spending was barely touched. Over 90% of the budget cuts passed by the last Congress cut spending for the poor programs that ensure food for the needy, housing for the homeless, job training for the unemployed, community health care for the sick.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 7:12 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Because there are some who use it as a way of life and abuse the system. Those people make the rest look bad. As they say it takes one apple to ruin the whole bunch.

Answer by gemgem at 12:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• OP, once upon a time our country didn't have these programs at all. People in need generally relied on family and charitable organizations, such as churches to help them get by.

Like gemgem said, there are many people who use PA as a way of life rather than a temporary solution.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Let say though I dont mind people who need help with groceries or health care getting help. I have been there myself. Sometimes you do need the help but you should always tell the truth about your income. There in lies the problem with most people. They dont report new income, or skew things to look as if they are more needy. I had an issue once where the case worker actually made a mistake when I was getting food stamps. I had to call and ask if it was right and they made me pack back for her mistake. But how many people do you think would do that? Probably not everyone who noticed.

Answer by gemgem at 12:56 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Well things like ths

$69 million in California welfare money drawn out of state

Las Vegas tops the list with $11.8 million spent at casinos or taken from ATMs, but transactions in Hawaii, Miami, Guam and elsewhere also raise questions. Officials say budget cuts hinder investigations.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/04/local/la-me-welfare-20101004

Are PART of the problem...THATS a lot of money

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Mmmmm. Okay.

Let's take this from two angles.
    One is, almost everyone knows someone who is abusing PA. When you run short of money, it's easy to look back at that person and point a finger.

The other is, the whole baby boomer/social security/medicare (or is the medicaid? I can't keep them straight) conundrum. Between the huge amount of people entering retirement, the government misuse of social security funds, the fact that people are living longer than ever but only contributing for roughly the same length of time...there's a real deficit there that needs to be addressed.

So PA is going to have to be addressed in one way or the other. And don't get me wrong, I LIKE the safety net. I like thinking poor babies get to eat. But we have to figure out a way to make it sustainable. And whatever gets cut, it's not going to be popular.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• but, if we get rid of these programs what happens to those that do need it????

***

OP-- I don't think anyone is saying to completely ELIMINATE the safety net entitlement programs, just that some serious REFORMS need to be made!! As lovin pointed out, eliminating or reforming ANY parts of the programs is NOT going to be popular...even if it is for the greater good!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:10 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• There is a rumor that the teachers in NC might have to endure yet another pay cut. This one equaling 5%. We had a pay cut 2 years ago of 5% and had to give back 2% of our yearly salary. I work my butt off and continue to have pay cuts. Do they cut the amounts being given to people for doing nothing? My pay is cut and I will work as long as they let me in the door. If they cut PA, will these people accept and endure their loss of pay? I truly doubt it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:26 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• About 1% of the population is considered homeless which means if you are 21 or older and live with your parent, you can be listed as homeless. If you are a child, your parent his financial difficulties, and your family moved in with your grandparents; you can be listed as homeless. If you live in a trailer park, you can be listed as homeless. So the number is slippery at best. There is a proposed $1.4 billion in funding in the 2012 budget for 1% of the population. The needy have been considered and money planned for. 

http://www.ich.gov/

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• The ACTUAL statistic seems to be ONE in FOUR

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-12-01/news/mn-62834_1_welfare-fraud

The study, conducted jointly by the Orange County Social Services Department, district attorney and the state, found that one of every four families had violated welfare rules.

and those two articles are JUST in California...

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2011