Hearing loss in my infant. Can certain things cause it??

I have a 6 month old baby girl that has hearing loss. At first she seemed to be compltly deaf because she was not responding to anything. She showed no responce to the hearing test what so ever. After about a month or so she started hearing. She had a recent test done and is diagonosed with mild hearing loss now.

There is no hearing loss with any of my other children at all. This came very much out of the blue. Nothing is on my side or her fathers side for hearing loss.

I was wondering if loud sounds would have damaged her hearing while she was in utero. I know that sound can transfer though and I went to a concert (sat way up high in the nose bleeds), and my youngest son was contantly crying very loudly as my stomach (he is the exact height as my belly) Does anyone know if this would cause any damage to her ability to hear?

I have an appointment for her in a couple of months to get her fitted for hearing aids and I'm going to ask her Dr's then....but I was just curious if anyone out there knows anything now.

Thanks so much!

TwinKleOut

Asked by TwinKleOut at 12:58 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• did she have an ear infection? My brother got ear infections frequently as a baby and has suffered some hearing loss from them.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:16 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• No she did not. She failed the inital hearing test at the hospital and kept failing them for months. It's improved with time but she still has the hearing loss. So I thought it might have been something that I did, or something that was going on that I didn't know would effect her.
    TwinKleOut

Comment by TwinKleOut (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I know when our daughter failed her newborn screen at the hospital they asked if I had IV antibiotics while pregnant. She ended up passing a few months later. I know it's sressful...good luck!
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 10:25 AM on Feb. 21, 2011