Anyone Know?

Until what age are babies at risk to get Shaken Baby Syndrome? Please do not get the wrong idea, I am not asking because I want to shake my baby or anything!!! I am just curious because I have never read about it anywhere. My son is 9 months old and is high-needs/spirited and I am afraid to leave him with anyone because he can be frustrating if you don't know how to handle him. Because of this and SBS, I only let my SO and parents watch him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• shaken baby syndrome can actually happen at any age... but it's rarely seen in children over 5 years. most often it is between the age of birth and 2 years though.
    Anonymous

• Honestly, it's always harmful! I think the brain damage is most risky for kids three and under, but it really depends on the size of the child...
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 9:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Shaken "baby" syndrome isn't age specific, contra coup brain injury can happen at any age or stage of development. It happens in people of all ages. Think of how your head feels when you've been in a car accident or gotten off a roller coaster, your brain was just smashed up against your skull and suffered a somewhat mild injury (though sometimes more than mild). Magnify that a few times, and you could injur it to the point where you suffer permanent damage or death.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 9:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2008