What do I do with my 6 year old that is having problems in school?

He doesn't listen to his teacher, disrupts the other classmates, is mean to the other kids, doesn't do his school work, throws temper tantrum, etc. I have done everything I can think of and don't know where to turn now.

rajenkins

Asked by rajenkins at 1:43 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe the classroom isn't the right fit? I have heard that sometimes just having the right teacher can change the behavior of a child dramatically.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 1:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Ask him, my oldest was having issues at school and it was due to her Dad being deployed, it took away to get that out of her and be able to talk about it. But then the issues calmed down.
    Maybe have the school counselor talk to him.
    And a new classroom may be just the ticket.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• thank you for these answers. He's failing first grade so far. Ther's not much time left in the school year so I don't know if he can even bring up his grades enough between now and school getting out to pass it. His dad and I are divorced and have been for over 5 yrs. His dad lets him pretty much do what he wants and then when I get him home it's all out war, because he says I'm mean to him by not letting him have his way at my house. I have full custody, but his dad gets him and his sister on weekends.i kind of think there may be something going on at his dads, but I can't get him to open up to me and tell me whats going on.
    rajenkins

Comment by rajenkins (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• First, you need to find out the REASON for this behavior. You can try to blanket remedy this situation until you're blue in the face, but if you don't find out the REASON then you won't solve anything. It could be anything from him being bullied himself, to him having a hard time understanding the material, the class is too advanced or underadvanced for him, etc. It really is hard to say what you can do about the situation until you figure out why he is acting out in this manner. When you find out the problem then you can go about finding ways to remedy the situation. Grounding him, suspending him, lecturing him, and the-like solves nothing if you don't even know what you're punishing him for. And the action isn't neccissarily worth a punishment if you don't know why he's doing it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:01 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• He sounds very rude. There is clearly some underlying issue. You need to find it, and fix it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:38 PM on Mar. 1, 2011