When my daughter and I seem unable to communicate without fighting, what to do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Get someone to mediate if all else fails. Maybe a favorite aunt or grandma? First I would try to get to some common ground like maybe going out together and spending one on one time together. I used to take my dd to the movies, lunch, shopping and just spend an entire day together. It was mandatory. We had Saturday a month where we would be together so we could stay close and communicate.

Answer by gemgem at 1:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Do something nice, like buy her some clothes, or bake her some cookies. Maybe then you guys can open up to eachother without fighting
    mannyperry

Answer by mannyperry at 1:54 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• it takes two to fight. if she gets attitude walk away and tell her you will come back and deal with her when she can be polite.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 2:08 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I agree that it takes two to fight but as the adult I think it would be best to show her how you want her to act. Take a deep breath and tell her ok let's try this again but no fighting. Stick to the facts on touchy subjects. She will have times she needs you so don't make her turn to someone else bc of her fear of you fighting with her or even worse, that you would walk away from her when she's trying to communicate something important. Many times teens have no coping skills for stress and they yell or act out. (throw things, roll their eyes, etc) when they are uncomfortable talking about some issues. Teach her how to cope with talking to people about all issues

Answer by admckenzie at 2:20 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Thank you for the advice, I have trouble dealing with her attitude when I feel like we are getting along fine. Seems our civil moments are very limited anymore.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I'm going thru that with my 16 year old son and I'm still working on it. I found now that if I say what I have to say and walk away it works I am trying not to yell anymore because it don't work.
    I tell him this is my house and my way or the high way then walk away like I said im still working on it and it is very hard especially if he wants to go somewhere and I say no he hounds me .
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 4:07 PM on Feb. 20, 2011