My daughter is going through senior stress, she's sleeping less than 6 hours daily. What can I do?

I have a newborn and a 3 year old. And she's 17 going on 18. (FYI she's adopted) what can I do for her?

mannyperry

Asked by mannyperry at 2:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• What does it matter if she's adopted? Senior year is a very stressful time. I don't think there is much you can do, except when she is tired let her sleep and don't force her to do too much around the house if you're certain she's sleepy because of academic matters.

Also little treats here and there would be a good idea. Maybe little surprises (notes, bear, random milk shake, etc) are all things my Mom did to help me.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Just let her know she is doing a great job, you are proud of her and you love her. Make sure she knows you support her and are there to talk if needed. Let her sleep whenever she needs it etc. She will be fine, we've all been there!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 2:10 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Hello,
    To me it sounds like anxiety.
    One of my girls has anxiety. She was diagnosed 3 years ago. The reason I took her to be evaluated was because she had some strange behaviors. She was taking things and hiding them...among others. Something that I came up with to manage her stress was finding something (we used a decorated rock with a trigger word) that she could hold onto and touch when she felt anxious or stressed.
    How old is she? What signs of stress is she showing? Not sleeping well in and of its self doesn't mean she is stressed.
    Orange7

Answer by Orange7 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• OOOPs I am new to this and I read your post wrong. Please forgive me.
    I do however have a child same age. What I have found helpful is to analyze her feelings with her. Pick each feeling apart to help her identify the things that are stressing her. Help her find logical solutions to each feeling. Help her to know you can only do what you can do, the rest you have to let go. If you are a family that prays then help her to turn over the things she can not control over to God.
    Again sorry for the mess up.
    Orange7

Answer by Orange7 at 3:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I have a sophomore going through school stress, with all honors and AP classes, plus after school activities and babysitting.

Are all of her college applications in? Does she have an elective or activity she can drop?

Answer by rkoloms at 4:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Young people tend to do this and it is a good sign that she is taking it all seriously, praise her and tell her you are there for her in anything she needs.

Answer by older at 4:21 PM on Feb. 20, 2011