Grr!

For the last two days my almost two year old has been a total pain in the butt! Pushing me away with his hands when I try to come near him, and waving bye bye and dimissing me. I'm the parent! It's frustrating, and a little rude, though I'm sure he doesn't know what he's doing. Has anyone else ever dealt with this? Have any tips or suggestions?

countrygirl1987

Asked by countrygirl1987 at 2:17 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Seriously, can you ladies stop dismissing your child's intelligence based on their age? He DOES know what he's doing and that's why he's doing it. He's asserting his independence and his authority. Though, most would go to say that a two year old doesn't have any authority. They test their limits and bounderies by testing out ways to manipulate, trick, barter, and otherwise get their way. It's not something their doing out of clueless nature, it's something their calculating in their head. They have the ability to reason, manipulate, trick, and barter just as any adult would. The only difference is their lack of ability to verbalize it. And some children even have that at the age of two, it all depends on the child.

You need to talk to him and treat him like a child and not an incapable infant. Even infants as young as four months old can manipulate their parent. Take back authority and tell him he's being rude.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• If you get upset over a little one acting normal then you need to brace yourself for his teen years! Just wave back at him and go on with cleaning house or whatever. Don't give him grief over it and don't take it personally. Don't go to him, let him come to you. Work with him. Don't stress the boy.
    Anonymous

• if you think its rude, dont let him get away with it. 2 year olds are smarter than people think. my son knew how he should be acting when he was 2. and 3's are wayyy worse than 2s lol
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 2:54 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Its the terrible twos, stick with it! And buy him a lollipop
    mannyperry

Answer by mannyperry at 2:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• He's at the age when he is trying to be a separate entity from you... give him some space and let him explore his new found independence. If you take this behavior to heart now how are you going to deal when he goes to school, or wants to wipe his own butt?? Even at two they know what they want and don't want... sometimes you just don't want some one "all up in your face"... at any age!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 20, 2011