what do nursing assisstants do?

im a senior in high school, i have one semester left and my daughter will be like 21 monthes old when i graduate, i want to do something with my life but i dont know what to do. I dont want to spend alot of money by paying for 4 years of college if i dont know what i want to do..so people have been telling me i should go to become a nursing assistant except thing is, im TERRIFIED of needles, i can see them, but i would never be able to give shots i mean i freak out if i have to get them. So what kind of training does it usually take and what do they do exactly? do they even work with needles?

jaelynsmama07

Asked by jaelynsmama07 at 2:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Money & Work

• It might be a little different in each state. A cna..(certified nursing assistant) does not give shots or any medicine for that matter. You will be feeding, dressing, bathing, providing some social interaction and changing diapers of people. Last I heard the pay was good, but its hard physical work. I got my cna certificate at a vo-tech, it was about $300. If you are a loving, patient, hard working person, you might enjoy the work.
    AnnikaJan

Answer by AnnikaJan at 2:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• One of my bffs is a CNA. She loves it, and gets paid well. She works in a nursing home, and has daylight hours. She does her fair share of butt wiping and bathing etc. But she is so happy doing what she does. It takes a very special person to be able to take care of someone like that!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 3:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I did CNA work for 2 years. I loved it. We took care of the daily needs of the residents(feeding,bathing,dressing,diapers,walking etc)
    momagarry

Answer by momagarry at 7:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I have had several friends who were or are CNAs. It's a good stepping stone if you are thinking about a career in nursing. You can get your foot in a the door at a hospital and some will partially pay for your schooling to become a nurse. It's really hard work, and not really pleasant at times, but if that's your calling you should go for it.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2008