If your child asks if you've ever tried drugs before, and you have, what will you tell him or her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in General Parenting

• It would depend on the age of the child. If they were a child not mature enough to understand or handle it, no I wouldn't. I would come clean with a much older and much more mature child, but only if I thought this child would take that information as a deterrent.
    Anonymous

• I'm just hoping none try to bum any off me, lol
    Anonymous

• if u have tell them yes but u didnt like the feeling of it. but u can also say no so they wont want to try it later.
    Anonymous

• when is the right age, yes i will tell him that i have tried drugs.
    Anonymous

• My oldest is 11, and as of yet none of them have asked. I'd like to say I'd tell them the truth, but I probably wont be 100% truthful. I experimented a lot when I was younger.
    Anonymous

• I dont hide anything from my kids and I dont plan to in the future. If my kids ask, I will just tell them the truth using words that they can understand at whatever age they are when they ask me.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 10:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I completely agree with Previous Poster
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 10:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My son did ask and hubby and I were both honest, I tried pot a few times and didn't like it so it was easy for me to admit. Dh on the other hand was a pothead before we were together, so a bit harder for him to admit fully. We just told the truth when he asked figuring it wasn't that bad, so why lie about it. I was a big drinker in HS and have admitted that too, because my friends and I would always rotate who had to stay sober and drive so I figure it was also a good lesson.
    Anonymous

• My husband got into drugs in high school when his family went through some rough stuff. He always says that he could have easily got in deeper and let it mess up his life but he chose to get out and make something of his life. He believes that this is a good story to honestly tell our children when they are old/mature enough to hear it.
    Anonymous

• The truth and make sure your child knows you arent perfect and just because you did doesnt make it right. Use it as a learning tool and say what the experience taught you. I never did drugs but I am not afraid to tell my son (when he is old enough to ask) that I battled alcoholism before I was old enough to drink and spent a year and half trying to quit smoking and will never ever touch either one again.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:20 AM on Nov. 19, 2008