Chores for kids

my son is four and he has to pick up his room before bed and take his clothes to the laundry room, sometimes he has to pick up clothes from the bathroom floor. he loves to vacuum so i let him do that then i go over it. what do your kids do around the house?

angevil53

Asked by angevil53 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• My 8 year old can do a TON- she likes to help in the kitchen, cutting veggies for dinner, she knows how to start the laundry(with a little help, lol), and she can hang her clothes in the closet and put away the rest in drawers. She's a GREAT helper! My 6 year old can pick up trash and dirty clothes, but she gets distracted easily, so we haven't tried anything else really.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• nothing yet, he's only a year old..
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 2:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My 5 and 3 year old make their own beds, pick up toys, etc.  I do the sweeping in their room because they've ruined curtains with the sweeper, lol.  My 1 year old does whatever they are doing, so she just helps out with their stuff.  I do the dishes but they take their plates and put them in the sink.  ANY messes that they make whatsoever they clean up.  In the Spring and Summer, they take care of picking the trash up out of the yard and putting it where it belongs.  My 1 year old was too young last year but this year I'm sure she'll help too. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• When my kids were little they learned a song from the Barney show about cleaning up. They would pick up a few things off the floor before we went to bed. Now they are teens. One fixes the beds and can sort her things. The other has more trouble keeping his things inorder but is good at using a broom. He is also good a making snacks for school.
    saltycoqui

Answer by saltycoqui at 3:01 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My kids have different chores by age. The 14 and 9 yr old clear and clean the table and kitchen after meals - my 14 yr old also helps with the younger kids when I need a hand (dh just had major back surgery, so he can't help out at present). They're all responsible for picking up their toys and putting their clothes in the dirty clothes and helping to put away their clean clothes. My 5 yr old ds, and 9 & 14 yr old dd all help fold laundry. My 2 yr old helps wash clothes and picks up toys and things. The youngest at home is 11 months and doesn't help out yet - lol.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 5:38 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• ~*YES*~... my three and 5 year olds have chores... like practicing their writing (both), homework (5 year old), potty training was for the 3 year old but no longer on the list (chore board)... being nice to brother, manners (like holding the door for lady at the bank), brushing teeth, picking up toys,,,

They earn magnets, which are turned into money, which they than get to use the change machine at the bank to place into their savings accounts!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My boys are 9 and 7, but when they were in Kindergarten they started making their own beds (comforter over a fitted sheet and 5-6 pillows to arrange), helping to set and clear the table, helping to load and unload the washer, dryer, and dishwasher, helping put groceries away, helping to take out the trash, and of course picking up their toys and helping to clean up spills!

Now, I rarely have to ask them, they're mindful enough to clean up after themselves, and help me. Pretty good, considering they both have autism! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:20 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I have older children so they clean their rooms, clean their bathrooms, wash their own clothes, they help with dishes, help with cooking etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:43 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My children are spose to do just about e verything but end up complaining and gripping. I ground them but that is morelike a reward then punishment. I am beside myself.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 3:42 PM on Feb. 21, 2011