Are you considered a good listener? Do you know a good listener? Wil you give me some coaching on how to be one?

I am a great talker and not a good listener. I want to be better at it. I would like some coaching from someone who IS a good listener and comments from others about what makes a good listener.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Relationships

• This may sound weird, but sometimes, not saying anything. Not the whole time. But when a person is talking, let them talk, then when you want to say something, don't. Let any pauses go a little bit longer, almost to "uncomfortable" or to it. Usually the person will continue. Most people want to be heard, but they may not want advice. They may just need to say it to get it off their chest. Then when you say something, keep it short. Then when you sense they are done, you add more and it changes into a conversation. I hope this helps, this is what I do(it sounds kinda crazy but it works if you do it right) and people usually jokingly call me "the psychiatrist".
    NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 8:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I use reflective listening. It is where you rephrase what the other person said using your own words. It works like a charm because it keep the conversation of the other person going.
    Believe328

Answer by Believe328 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i used to be one of those "can carry a conversation by herself" type of girls :) It's hard...but just shut up. Don't be thinking in your mind what you are going to say next, really listen. You'll actually find it is quite enjoyable!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 11:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2008