Are you for or against spanking your children?

I am for it to an extent. Spanking or abuse? I try my hardest not to spank my children but they sometimes don't get it. I am raising tomorrows adults and would hate to have to see my children behind bars or dead. I have a GF that is against spanking, her 3 year old is running the house already. I say show them who is boss and they would think about the consequence before hand. But, if you allow your child to run a muck how would they know how to respect elders and or others.

dubewife

Asked by dubewife at 4:25 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I am for spanking otherwise they will be out of control when they get older and cute doesn't get it. My niece and nephew never got spanked by my brother or his ex wife they said they didn't beleive in spanking now they are divorced and the ex has the kids and lives in another state.
    Both kids are teens now and OUT OF CONTROL the boy hits and cuses at her and the girl yells and cuses at her too, if she would have spanked them they wouldnt be unrulely........SPANK even if it hurts you it will make a better child and grown upl
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 4:35 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I spank but because I'm consistent, I very rarely have to spank. It's not like I have to spank them on a daily basis. As far as it teaching them fear, you're afraid to touch a hot stove because it hurts. Sometimes fear is necessary to learn a lesson. I remember when I was about 4, my mom told me not to touch her iron because it was hot. I was stubborn and didn't listen and I touched the iron and burned the snot out of my finger. I knew better than to complain to my mom because she had told me not to touch it. I learned a lesson that day and never touched a hot iron again.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:38 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I am for spanking. There is a huge difference between spanking and beating your child. I also believe that it depends on the child. Our 6 year old, we don't spank because he doesn't need it. You explain it to him once and he gets it. On the other hand our 5 year old it's like talking to a brick wall, and sometimes she does get swatted more than once a day. Sometimes telling them the same thing 5 times in a row is monotonous and time out doesn't work, and neither does standing in the corner.

I have a couple friends who don't spank, but they do discipline and there kids listen well.
    Of course I have a few friends that have no discipline whatsoever and it drives me batty.

I would have a fit though if anyone else raised there hand to hit my child (other than daddy) I am a firm believer that is for parents only.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I never spanked my children no point.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• There are many other ways to instill respect and not have them run a muck, spanking only teaches fear, they don't learn the lesson through this. I have three grown adults that were never spanked, they were talked to , punish taking favorites away, and all it works with consistency. They grew up to be exemplary adults with a good education.

Answer by older at 4:28 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I am for it if it works. It works for us.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 4:27 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• And whoever voted down Olders answer might not want to be so judgemental and open your ears.  She is the mom who gave me the advice.  It has worked.  I'm not saying that spanking is wrong, but what about when you have good children and they don't do anything that warrants a spanking anymore?  I wouldn't be so quick to put down someone elses answer about discipline, you might need their advice some day.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• There is a medium, you can spank lightly, making sure they understand why you are doing so, explaining so they learn why they are getting spanked. I got them when i was little and I think I am better for it, actually!
    toddler101

Answer by toddler101 at 4:39 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I agree with bethsunshine, I agree with spanking when you need to teach your children to be fearful of something.
    Anonymous

• I'm neither for, nor against it. I think it's one of those punishments that works for some, but not for all. As mom's we all know what disciplinary action works best for our children, some learn better from time-outs, some with the taking away of toys/privileges, and some spanking. I'm not going to knock another mom for spanking if that's what works for her, I'm not the one raising her child.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:46 PM on Feb. 20, 2011