Who is your religious philosophy hero?

What about them inspires you?

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 4:32 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I really admire Joseph Campbell's work!
    He does a great job in explaining how myths can turn into religions but still keeps the NEED and Value of true FAITH alive and flourishing.
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I am a fan of Dorothy Day. Her personal life and the realization that real, everyday people can be holy, is a real inspiration to me
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I'm not religious, but a few people who I admire greatly:
    Carl Saga
    Stephen Hawking
    The Dalai Lama
    Deepak Chopra
    Eckhart Tolle
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:12 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I like Karen Armstrong. Brian McLaren, the Dalai Lama...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:19 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• that should say "Carl Sagan"...not Saga.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Related to Buddhism and other eastern philosophies/religions: Dalai Lama, Ghandi, Thich Nhat Hanh, Pemo Chodron--and of course, Lao Tzu and the Buddha

Related to Scientific Pantheism: Albert Einstein, Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking, Paul Harrison, Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• " Ghandi, Thich Nhat Hanh.... Lao Tzu and the Buddha"

AAAACK! How could I forget these?!!! LOL. There are just too many:)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I like Gandhi, the Dalai Lama, Henry David Thoreau.

As for Paganism, I like Selena Fox. She was a part of the fight to get the fallen Wiccan solider his pentacle headstone when the VA turned his families request down.

There are many more I just know these few off the top of my head

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:30 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My Heavenly Father, the creator of everyone and everything, God, and my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. The resons why are too numerous to list. Let's see, God gave me life, then He gave me life everlasting. He saved my life, then He saved my soul. He loves uncondtionally, forgives unquestioningly, encourages unendingly. He gave His Holy Written Word as a guide for my life, and to answer any question I'd ever have, to encourage, admonish, teach. Jesus came lived, loved, died and was resurrected to save my soul, unworthy though I am, and give me eternal life with Him in paradise, and save me from eternal damnation and separation from Him. In fact, there is nothing I can ever think of about God and Jesus that DOESN'T inspire me.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Oh,and I also love Corrie Ten Boom. What an incredible testimony she had, surviving a concentration camp, never losing her faith in God, and being given an incredible ministry after He saved her from the Nazis. She is a personal hero of mine and I love her book "The Hiding Place." It truly is life-changing.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 20, 2011