My 8 and 10 year old won`t let me throw anything away help

i try to throw away a burnt pot they scream and yell i try to throw away a old shower curtain they scream and yell and i throw it away when there gone and they go dig it out of the trash me and my husband are tired of it

rave88

Asked by rave88 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• What do they want with the items?

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• ask them why they're doing that.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• This is a problem that should be addressed. Have they gone through a period of doing without? This is a sickness and I hate to hear it starting this young.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• ~*Comprimise*~... three piles... Keep, throw, donate... might be they just don't wanna throw it away, and can be talked into a "GoodWill" pile of stuff that'll later be sold and towards a good cause?!?!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 4:56 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• You can wait wait until they aren't home to throw it out. Or you can sit down and talk to them and explain why you are throwing it out and let them know that it is being replaced. ( they may think you would try getting rid of them if something was wrong with them. make sure you let them know that if something happened to them you stilll love them and would never replace them and that material things are just that)
    princesschilly

Answer by princesschilly at 4:59 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• A shower curtain??
    It almost sounds (with this limited info) like borderline O.C.D....but I'm guessing.
    Do they do this with everything?
    Can you throw stuff away without their notice while they're at school or do they notice and have a fit?
    I would like more info...please.
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 4:59 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My kids do the same thing. They are taught in school that everything should be recycled or reused. They are always trying to find alternative uses for trash. i appreciate their commitment to being green but I also don't want to live in a dump.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 4:59 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I was like this, and still am to an extent. I don't know why but it makes me sad to see things thrown out. Do it when they're not home and make sure the items are gone completely (meaning don't just put them in the trash where they can still see them). They might still get a little upset but it won't be as bad if they don't have to witness it and they can't go digging through the trash to pull it out.
    Anonymous

• If it's not their personal item then throw it away while the child isn't around.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I can see if they were toys you were getting rid of but only kids know why they feel this way. I'd say about a month ago my kids (7&8) did not want us to get rid of our living room set (we purchased new ones I had to explain how someone else who are less fortunate will be helped they didn't like that but they were ok after that. gl
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2011