Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Tax Refund Question (this one is truly different) *EDIT ADDED*

Last month we received a letter from the IRS stating that we had been over payed $1200 on last years tax refund and need to pay the IRS back for the money. My husband spoke with them and they said he could just send the form back and requesting the money to be taken out of this years tax refund. . . . We did our taxes and on the website it says we should receive our refund next Friday UNLESS there is an previous amount owed. Does anybody know how much extra time it will take to get our refund??

Edit~ The reason we were overpaid is because my husband withdrew money from his 401k to pay a hospital bill for my son. We didn't receive a 1099R from the company and had 10% taken out for taxes. When we did our taxes we had honestly forgotten all about the withdrawing that money and how it could be considered income. Apparently the company his 401k goes through must have reported it because we got a letter last month saying we did not report the $1200 and the extra amount of "income" caused us to not be eligible for the EIC we received. It was just an oversight on our part. We were confused at first because we thought they had said we didn't pay the taxes on it, we notified the 401k company and requested the missing 1099R.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (3)
  • Ive heard until middle of march.

    Answer by ChaoticSoul at 5:11 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

  • Usually a couple of extra weeks, but did they say what had happened that they had overpaid you?

    Answer by kimigogo at 5:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

  • I have been a manager of Jackson Hewitt for two years so I will advise you on this. First you will not receive it until two to three weeks after they state they will send it. I also need to ask who filed your taxes for you last year? Try to file consistantly. If you do it yourself online you might want to reconsider and file with irs directly. This would mean you going into them and having them do it. Do ths for about two to three years and then you can file yourself using free programs online. If you need any more help feel free to ask.

    Answer by dubewife at 5:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.