How can I get my dog to stop jumping at me?

I did the mistake by petting him and holding him when he did this but now as soon as I step out the door it's like attack he jumps on me.
I need him to be alittle calmer. He's too excited.
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Pets

• I have 4 dogs and they r very hyper. When I leave and come home they r all over me. When u find the answer let me know.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 5:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• When I took my dog to obedience school, they taught us this. When they jump up on you, grab their front paws and squeeze them, push them back and say NO! This worked great w/ mine. Good luck!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 5:31 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Have you tried to just ignore him. Any response to his jumping is attention to him and reinforcing his bad behavior. If you watch the Dog Whisperer, he shows owners to not pay any mind to the dog till it calms down, then pet it or give them some scratches. Of course dogs, like children, are all different and what works for one might not work for another. Just a suggestion though!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Ignoring the behavior should work, also teach you dog a wait or stay comand. As a last resort if your dog is in danger of hurting someone, when he starts to jump raise your knee to block him DO NOT KICK OR STRICK him just put your knee up to block him from jumping directly on you, add a firm NO at the same time.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 5:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Do not touch,talk or make eye contact with your dog when he does this.When he jumps up turn your back to him immediately. When he has all four feet on the floor you can give the attention.ANother thing you can do is when your dog is approaching you ask him to sit so when he gets to you he will sit instead of jump.This takes consistantcy and it helps if the dog knows sit really well. You can use treats to lure the dog to you keeping the treat low so not to accidently incourage the dog to jump and ask him to sit when she is in front of you.Kneeing dogs in the chest though negative is still giving the dog what they want, attention.I have known some dogs that were very hard to break the habbit. When I volunteered at a shelter we actually put the jumping on command with one dog. We turned it into a trick we called "hug". Forrest would jump up and wrap his paws around our wrists on command.he actually stopped jumping completely
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:21 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• unless he was asked to do his trick.
    KyliesMom5

• get a water bottle and everytime he jumps on you or something you dont want him on then spray him!
    kalynskorner

Answer by kalynskorner at 11:35 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• When we got our Mastiff Hank, he was about 9 months old and did the whole jumping thing.....giant dogs that jump on you suck! lol We would grab his snout(not hard) and say NO while we pushed him down off of us. It took a few times but he stopped.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 6:17 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• This sounds mean, but when he jumps up on you, knee him in the chest. I only had to do this once and my dog has never jumped on me again.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 12:21 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I turn around on my dog. Its not fun If I don't accept the jump. I turn my back and thats it.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 5:27 PM on Feb. 26, 2011