The "urge" to go to church

Lately, I've been feeling like I should be attending church. The only thing is DH & our friends make me feel stupid for wanting to go. They laugh and make fun of me. I keep feeling like I NEED to go. Even the kids are interested in going! what should I do? How can I attend church ( against what dh believes) without making my dh upset? We used to attend every wed & sunday. Now, he makes it out to be a joke. He has been this way since our daughter passed away 3 yrs ago. I miss the man he was starting to become when we attended church. :(

ChaoticSoul

Asked by ChaoticSoul at 5:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• If, you feel the need to go then, GO. Tell DH that you just, feel you need to and that he should respect your feelings. And by all means take the kids with you.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 5:46 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I know I went through this after the death of my children. It might be helpful for you to go. Each of us have to deal with it in their own way.
    I want to believe and I want to know that my children are with God in heaven, but I want proof. The people at church do not understand this. They say I should have faith and believe.
    I did and look what happened. Yes, there is the anger that if there is a God why did he do this to me twice or even once?
    Tell your husband that you want to go and you will go by yourself, but that he has to just accept that it is what you want to do.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:53 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• By the sounds of it, he may be mad at God. It's okay for him to be mad, but you IMHO you should just go and take the kids with you. Don't stop your faith because you are worried about someone making fun of you. Tell them to grow up, you can and will believe what you want. As for your DH, just sit him down and tell him, I'm ready to go back, if you're not, it's okay and I understand but it will not stop me from taking the kids and going. Good Luck and Brightest Blessings.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 6:28 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• God is telling you something. I'd listen to God and ignore dh and friends who probably should listen to Him too instead of laughing.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:32 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I would listen to the prompting of Holy Spirit.... it sounds like your spouse is using the teasing as a front to cover the anger he is carrying toward God concerning the loss of your daughter.
    You need to go, this may be part of your healing process and it may very well bring your husband around. Do not allow others comments keep you back from the Lord.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Your husband is angry and in need of healing. You should go to church and take the kids, but don't pressure him to go. Keep praying for him. After a few weeks, begin inviting him--again, no pressure. Keep praying. When he sees how it helps you, I think he'll come around, it'll just take some time.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Go alone. You have this fantasy that you will find something important if you just go to church and I think you need to go to find out this very important thing. If god and/or religion are not with you every moment of every day, you won't find either of them in a building. God is with you all the time, or he isn't. You live your religion every day, or you pick it up on Sunday at a church and have to keep attending to get your "fix". Your faith is the truth...or it is a lie.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:35 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• There is absolutely nothing wrong going to church, but you can still believe in God if you don't go to church
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 2:26 AM on Feb. 21, 2011