Why are you a christian? Looking for guidance.

I've suffered many losses recently and I've never believed in God but I need to discover him. I've read the bible many times, people tell me to reconnect with the bible but I know it pretty much off by heart now and I can't find God. I still can't believe. It's not for want of trying. Can anyone help? Or suggest something? I'm desperate for some comfort.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Have you tried attending church? Maybe, fellowship w/ others will help. God is wonderful and don't be discouraged, when you find him in your heart you will know and you won't want to let him go. Good Luck and God Bless You.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 5:50 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I've tried, the churches around me are full of people over the age of 60 and nobody talks to anyone. There is nothing that I can find.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• "You find God the moment you realize that you don't need to seek God."

A quote I just read today...maybe it will help you.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:53 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Have you thought of talking to the local Pastor/Priest of the Churches that you attend?
    Maybe going to a weekday Bible study...?
    I am not a Christian, but Pagan. I believe in Gods/Goddesses... I believe in a balance in life...
    Have you thought of looking into another religion for comfort?
    And to be honest, some may never find God/a God bc their heart and head are telling them that
    it is not for them...
    I wish you luck on your Journey to find what you seek...

Blessed Be...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Oh, I forgot to add there's a group on Cafemom called Sisters in Spirit, try that it might help. It's a great group check them out.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 5:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• In my opinion, god is all around us. There is no need to go to a church. The lessons you learn are outside the box not in. The true message is the message he leaves in your heart. That is what I believe but then again I am not christian
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I am not sure how much I can help, but I will be praying for you.
    I think that the easy part is sitting down and reading Gods word. The hard part is being still enough to hear Him. I know the hardest thing is knowing what people mean when they say turn "it" over to God. I never knew what that meant. I think the answers come when you stop worrying over it and just be still in your thoughts. Talk to God like you are talking to an old friend, and trust that He will come when you are still enough to "hear" Him.
    God bless
    Orange7

Answer by Orange7 at 6:06 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Well I am a Christian because I believe this world is too wonderful, too amazing, too complex, to all have happened by chance. Plus, a lifetime of listening to others accounts of miracles and life/death experiences has helped me believe that many people have experienced God first hand in their lives. They all can't be lying right?! Sometimes its hard for people to believe without seeing, or if they've had many bad things happen its hard for them to believe too. If you WANT to believe, I honestly think that somewhere deep down, you already do. I suggest maybe going away to a retreat with women your age, or finding a Christian group in your area. I went to a camp when I was 14 and it really solidified things for me. We were praying in a huge tent outside when suddenly a warm gust of air came rushing through the tent for a good 5 mins. It was amazing.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:19 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• possibly look for a play date group where women are Christian and do bible studies regularly? Even if you don't find exactly what youre looking for there.. you could possibly find a new best friend who may be able to one on one help you out more.

My advice.. taking some alone time and simply try praying.. see if God will direct you in any certain ways.. and instead of looking and waiting.. just go about your day and some might come up for you!
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 7:20 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• WTF...why did i get a down vote? LOL. sheesh, some people.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2011