How can I overcome procrastination and laziness?

A few years ago, I used to get up at 5am and cook breakfast from scratch, the house was always neat and tidy and my daughter was clean, dressed, and her hair was done. My daughter is still neat and clean like she used to be, but I'm a complete mess. I've noticed that I have let myself go and I'm tired of being unorganized and lazy. Why is it sometimes we let ourselves go to the pits?

I want to be able to get things done early in the day, but i find myself depressed and it's hard to get motivated to do my housework. I'm overweight, ugly, and depressed. I need help. I want to be who I used to be, but better.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You may need to talk to someone.....you sound as if you are depressed.

Start by setting written goals for yourself. Something you can check off. And use a timer. Get up, shower, dress (including shoes). Then start your tasks. Clean off a table top, a counter, something simple. Toss 15 pieces of junk into either recycling OR trash. Do your dishes, start a load of clothes. Simple tasks that can be timed. For every task you complete, give yourself a 15 minute computer time reward.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:11 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• One thing that helps me is I make a 'to do' list of things that I want to accomplish each day. I also set up a loose schedule each day-- like get kids to school and then at 8am have coffee, then after coffee it is time to do the dishes, after dishes I sort laundry and pop a load in, then I take a 15 minute break and do something I want (like surf CM), and after my break it is time to turn my work terminal on and check in with work. I find if I have things to do and a schedule to do them I am more organized, less lazy and less procrastination.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:13 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• your age? I am 30 and I am getting lazier.. although, I am not fat, ugly, or depressed!. and NEITHER ARE YOU!!!. you say depressed that is your problem.. seek help.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 6:09 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I'm in my late twenties.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:10 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I wish I had the answer.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:11 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I found myself doing the same thing. I didnt really kno that i was depressed though. But i went to the doc and told him everything, like how i felt lazy and tired all the time, and how i have gained weight, and my outlook on things and some other things along with that and he put me on Cymbalta and i have never felt better. It has completely changed my attitude, my outlook and i couldnt be happier!
    arkelly2188

Answer by arkelly2188 at 6:17 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I've never learned how to be organized as a child, but I did the best that I knew how to do and my house was really clean and tidy. I'm not liveing in filth, it just that I need to get better organized and use my time wisely so that I am not getting overwhelmed. I heard of flylady.net and looked at the site, but I found it to be a bit overwhelming. What are some good sites that teach organzation and housekeeping skills?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:17 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I was getting that way but now I do what I have to do every day.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:18 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Figure out what you need to do every day and break it up into four hour increments every day it helps you not feel so overwhelmed and maybe you need an hour everyday to workout or do something you need to do it helps when you have something to look forward to.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• you can start by speaking positive things about yourself. there's always goods in a person.
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 6:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2011