Moms that ERF

When do you feel it's acceptable to turn your child? Acceptable as far as safety goes. My daughter is 2 years 7 months and 31lbs and she will definitely rearface until at least 3 years old as her seat's maximum is 35lbs. However, I'm starting to think that is too soon and considering buying a seat that will allow her to rearface even longer. Any advice on good seats or anything regarding my situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 6:19 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• i hope my dd makes it to 4 years in her myride65 and then i will turn her if i cant convince my hubby to buy another car seat! lol i think 5 years would the latest for us! but its all ur choice!! good for u for ERF so long!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 6:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I wanted a MyRide!! It was just too big for our car :( I was so sad when we tried it at Babies R Us and it didn't fit. As it is now, I am practically on the dashboard since her seat is behind the passenger seat. She doesn't mind rearfacing at all though. I think it's also much more comfortable for her when she falls asleep than it would be if she were FF. I guess I need a seat that can ERF but isn't huge.
    BridgetC140

Comment by BridgetC140 (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• The Complete Air might be an option for you. Plus, the seat doesn't have to be reclined as much as they get older and have better head control (45 degrees is for babies, 30 degrees for toddlers).

jwaren

Answer by jwaren at 6:39 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My DS was able to RF til 4 in the MyRide, and I'm hoping to keep my younger DS rfing until 3- I know he will be too big by 4 lol.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:46 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I think they should be rear facing for as long as possible. When mine were that small they only made it to a little over 2 years because they were both tall and outgrew the car seat in height NOT weight. ERF was not as big then so the car seat manufacturers weren't making car seats that had higher hiehgt and weight limits yet.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:54 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• We have the Evenflo Triumph 65. It RF's to 40 lbs, so we will be RFing for a long time as she's only 25 lbs now and 18 months old. It then FF to 65 lbs. We have a Jetta and we have her carseat behind the driver. During the week I drive it, but on the weekends my husband, who is 5 feet, 11 inches can still drive with her behind him. He can't push the seat back as much as he'd like, but he can drive comfortably. If we even go on a long trip where he's driving more than just around town, we will probably move her behind the passenger.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2011