Hickory, NC

My husband and I are contemplating moving from Washington State to Hickory ( or in that area ), NC...he grew up around there, but I have never been. The closes i've been is FL. What is it like there? Besides the humidity, what will i have to get used to rather than being in the NW?

Also, we're trying to decide how we should do the move....we have a 2 year old daughter and are about 11 weeks pregnant with our second ( due september 9th ). Should we wait till after the baby or do this ASAP so we're settled when the baby arrives? Flying down there and shipping our possessions (we plan to get rid of everything big we have here and re-buy when we arrive, so we will just be shipping boxes, not furniture) or should we drive a UHaul across country? I think we will end up selling our cars here as well, since one we have would never make it across country and the other we'd rather just sell since the payments are high. any advice helps....we really want to do this, i just need advice since i've basically lived in WA my entire life. aaannnddd since we've never done a move remotely this big. Thank you!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Travel

• I can't help at all with moving advice. I'll admit that I'm terrible at moving, and I've done it 7 times as an adult. Sorry.

However, I've lived in Western North Carolina for almost my entire life, and I lived in Hickory as a child. I can't remember much about that town itself, but I know about WNC. Humidity isn't bad, even in the summer. The only time it gets really balmy is if it's rainy. I'm in a more mountainous area than Hickory, and the weather is slightly warmer there, but we normally don't have extreme summers or winters. Hickory doesn't see a ton of snow, nor does it see much of the high 90s in the summer. I'd call it moderate. It's a beautiful area - I'd recommend it to anyone. :) I can't really give you any comparisons, either, as I've never been to the NW.

Lol, now that I'm reading over my post - I realize I gave you, well, nothing really. Sorry!
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 2:15 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• hahah no that's good, thank you for your input! it sounds so nice! :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• If it was me, I would wait until after the new baby is born and is at least 2 months old. I would just want to keep the same Dr's, etc. If you aren't crazy about your current Dr though, then I would suggest moving asap so that you are settled before your 3rd trimester. Good luck!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2011