Anybody know anything about Mirena?

After I have the baby I was thinking about getting Mirena. I was wondering what the side affects are and anything else I should know about it.

mommy2be0611

Asked by mommy2be0611 at 7:21 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Health

• I had it and I loved that I didn't have to worry about it for 5 years. I did however feel it sometimes when I sat on a hard floor and sometimes my husband could feel it during intercourse but he said it never hurt.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 7:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Risks/ Side effects are pretty much the same as a bc pill. I experienced a bit of weight gain and a few worse than normal breakouts. Other than that, I loved it. It was nice not having to worry about taking a pill. And my periods were lighter, milder, and less heavy.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 7:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I have it. I really like it it has slowed down my cycles. However, it does give symptoms like pregnancy sometimes that totally freaks me out. For example, breast tenderness, spotting in between cycles, bloating, swelling, acne lol....but at least you're not pregnant....right? haha!
    Dee24997

Answer by Dee24997 at 8:15 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I have it and I like it. Very worry-free. Side effects include- spotting for up to 6 months after insertion, increased risk of pelvic inflammatory disorder, uterine abruption, some people have no period, some have much lighter periods, some have heavy constant periods but that is much more rare- everyone is different. For me I bled for the entire first 6 months then it turned into lighter shorter periods, but I'm one of the few that still have their periods.I'm happy with it though. Good luck.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 2:47 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Oh yeah and you have less side effects than with the pill because the hormone is centralized to your uterus rather than throughout your bloodstream like the typical BCP so you don't have the sexual side effects you typically feel with bcp's like the decreased libido or feeling like a hormonal mess-that in itself has been a blessing for me. BCP's made me hate sex and I had no drive which was pretty crappy.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 2:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2011