My 3 year old daughter has been "playing" with her self for the past week or so how can i get her to stop and why is she doing it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Its pretty normal for kids to explore themselves. Just tell her that is something to only be done in private and send her to her room.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 7:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• It is normal exploration. Little boys do it, too, but we tend to laugh about that and shrug it off. I wouldn't do anything about it, except educate her about appropriate behavior when she is around others. You can tell her that when she is with other people, she shouldn't touch her privates, and they shouldn't touch theirs. You can leave it at that.

:)

I know . . . this is one of those things we didn't anticipate dealing with, huh?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:25 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• She does it bc it feels good. Most kids do it. Like armywifeashlie said, teach her boundaries if she keeps it up.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Yup, totally normal. My 4 year old does it occasionally too. I just gently remind her that it's not an appropriate thing to be doing unless she's alone in her room. Just remember that it this age, it's more of an innocent exploration thing than anything else.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 7:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Totally normal, although I had to girls close in age that I never ran into something like this, but I did with my niece, and she was doing it at pre school, disrupting nap time no less, it included moans and groans!

Answer by older at 7:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• my son does it to i just tell him to stop it. But when he gets older i will tell him he needs to go to his room and do it hes 3 and just figuring sutff out
    Tarrahs2011

Answer by Tarrahs2011 at 2:22 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• This is more common that you would think. Just like adults, kids do it too. It feels good and maybe even relaxing or stress relieving. I would not make her stop, or make her feel ashamed but rather teach her that it is something she should ONLY do when she is alone in her room.
    busywithbabies

Answer by busywithbabies at 6:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2011