Hickory, NC

My husband and I are contemplating moving from Washington State to Hickory ( or in that area ), NC...he grew up around there, but I have never been. The closes i've been is FL. What is it like there? Besides the humidity, what will i have to get used to rather than being in the NW?

Also, we're trying to decide how we should do the move....we have a 2 year old daughter and are about 11 weeks pregnant with our second ( due september 9th ). Should we wait till after the baby or do this ASAP so we're settled when the baby arrives? Flying down there and shipping our possessions (we plan to get rid of everything big we have here and re-buy when we arrive, so we will just be shipping boxes, not furniture) or should we drive a UHaul across country? I think we will end up selling our cars here as well, since one we have would never make it across country and the other we'd rather just sell since the payments are high. any advice helps....we really want to do this, i just need advice since i've basically lived in WA my entire life. aaannnddd since we've never done a move remotely this big. Thank you!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Just for Fun

• If it were me fly and ship the rest. I'm in eastern N.C. but, I've been in Hickory before. It seem like a nice town, the terrain is a little hilly bc, it's closer to the mountains. As far as moving before baby is born, I don't know. It probably would be on how u are feeling now verses after the baby is born.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 7:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• did you move from far? do you have any suggestions on places that will ship that kind of stuff cross country? we have some family down in hickory, so i know they'll help me get acquainted, i'm just so nervous since it's a big decision.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Get some quotes from major moving companies. It may be more reasonable than you think. Get a couple to compare. Also, there are car shipping companies. A friend of mine used one when she moved from MA to FL. Again, it may be more reasonable than you think. I don't know the area but have a nephew in Winston-Salem which, I think, is in the same general area and he absolutely loves living there. You also might Google the town and check out the visitor's/chamber of commerce websites. I would think it would be easier to move before the new baby comes if you are feeling OK. I wish you all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:31 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Hickory is close to the mountains. It is famous for the furniture manufacturing. The area is beautiful. It is on the way to Ashville where the Biltmore Home is. I love the area.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• :D thank you guys! you're getting me all excited! haha i will look into everything you guys have suggested and i appreciate your input so much!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2011