Are you for or against medicating active children?

I am not for labeling children and medicating them. What is so wrong with a child that is active? These schools would rather that we medicate our children even though nothing is wrong mentally with your child.

scmedicalasst

Asked by scmedicalasst at 7:29 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• A lot of parents (not all). Do not teach their kids how to sit down

Answer by louise2 at 7:34 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I am not for medicating unless the child is unable to function. I am completely against herbals which are not regulated and may actually hurt the child.

My two cents . . .

:)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:34 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Labeling children - there is actually a time and place for that. And there is a different between active children and HYPERactive children.

Children that test with learning disabilities benefit from being "labeled". They get help, extra aid, learning aids, etc. that they would not get with out the "label". Children that are truly tested at hyperactive learn much better when they have the proper medication.

There is nothing wrong with it when it is done properly! The issues is that so many people don't get their children properly diagnosed.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:40 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My son was diagnosed with ADHD a few months ago and yes i was against it and didn't want my 8 yr old taking meds. but my Mom talked me into atleast trying and i did and i did notice a big difference in him, even he noticed a difference in himself and said that he likes that he doesn't feel so crazy all the time.
    But i do believe some parents just do not teach thier kids to settle down.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 7:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Against. I think some kids truly have need for some sort of medication, but I think a lot of children receive medication when they shouldn't. This country over-medicates.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• 2 of my children are adhd 1 has add. I medicate them while they are in school and church where it is imperative for them to sit and listen and be able to concentrate on the task at hand which is a bigger problem with my boys. It's like they literally can not control their actions. When they aren't at school and places where it is ok to be active and wild I don't give them their meds...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Obviously you have never seen a truly ADHD child. I agree that there are many children out there who are only medicated for the convience of the parent, but working in the MH field, I have seen children who truly can not function without medications. These children are jumping on top of desks, climbing up shelves, running into walls at full speed and yelling at the top of their lungs. These children are more than "active".
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• sorry for butting into your question here, but for the moms of children with adhd and add, did you let your kids watch a lot of TV when they were very young? I have been reading a lot about that and am now really concerned that my kids will end up being hyperactive because I allow them to watch a lot of tv.....
    dani809

Answer by dani809 at 8:09 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I agree with you OP!!! Kids shouldn't be forced to sit behind a desk all day with very little, if any time to run around. No wonder they feel like climbing the walls and can't focus.

I homeschool for this as well as many other reasons.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:13 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Neither. I was 7 when they diagnosed me as "depressed" and they started me on medication a few years later. The medication not only didn't help with my condition but the side effects were hell (my liver shut down from one of them). As an adult it was discovered that I'm not "depressed" I have BiPolar II, which means the medication they gave me was wrong in the first place... It also turns out that simple diet changes and meditation exercises work to control my illness more than any medication.

The reason I'm tell you this is because it's a huge part of the basis of my belief on medication and children. Medication is not the best answer in many many cases. Instead I believe we should explore dietary and nutritional alternatives as well as other more natural options.

BUT when those do not hold answers and a child has conditions which still need treatment, I'm not against medication either...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2011