I just broke up with by bf and now I feel guilty

Just getting it off my chest. I just broke up with the guy, we've dated a little over a month. He's a great guy, but there were just too many little things that irked me, and I didn't want to "settle" this early in the game. LOL

Now I feel guilty, like I should try to make things better, but I really don't want to be with him that way. (I wouldn't mind being his friend, but I didn't even put that out there, it wouldn't work.)

Suggestions on getting rid of the guilt?

autbot

Asked by autbot at 7:43 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• I think the hardest part of breaking up with someone is that you have to deal with your feelings (I'm not into you, etc…) PLUS the other person's feelings. And in general he wasn't going to say "thank you, I appreciate you being honest that it wasn't going anywhere" (even if he actually does feel that way.)

You need to take care of you. He will be fine. He is just wounded.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:56 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• It must mean you have a big heart and are concerned with how others feel. I can understand where you are coming from but if you don't see a future there and you know that the friendship will not work then its probally best to just let it go and see how you feel tomorrow.
    Good luck!
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I just went through the same thing. Give it some time before you try to convert to just a friendship. Right now it might give him mixed messages. There should be no guilt in doing what is right...that's what I tell myself to make the guilt go away. I did what was right for me. He'll be fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I know, but its so UGH, I feel like such a btch, but I guess better to break it off now before he told me he loved me or something. Thing that bugs me is that he is totally different from the losers I've dated in the past, but then he had those little quirks that I couldn't handle it anymore. LOL
    autbot

Comment by autbot (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• trying to be friends would probably be insulting. better to break his heart a little now than a lot later.
    nonni2

Answer by nonni2 at 10:46 PM on Feb. 20, 2011