Question for anyone who has had their wisdom teeth removed.

I'm having one of my lower wisdom teeth extracted tomorrow. I was wondering...what sort of things can you eat after? I'm worried I'll be starving after and not able to eat. Also, is there any advice from experience on the aftercare or healing?

Thanks for any and all responses!

I'm trying REALLY hard not to be scared and worry right now, lol.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 7:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Health

• I had all 4 of mine pulled at one time. I was pretty tender for the first 24 hours and ate a lot of oatmeal, cream of wheat and soup. I was eating a sandwich 2 days out.

I had a lot going on at the time and it really helped to distract me. It was the Thurs. before Thanksgiving and I worked a craft show that Sat. I talked for 10 hours straight and was fine. I think having something to look to help because I didn't have time to worry about how I would heal. I just went at it.

Don't be afraid to ask for something for the pain, even if you only take it at night. I took tylenol with codeine for 2 nights. Over a year late I still have the rest of the pills.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:52 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Whatever you do don't drink from a straw. It can cause 'dry socket" and that hurts, A LOT. I just tried to eat soft stuff. Really hot stuff made it hurt worse for me. cold stuf was def. better. Anything that needed a lot of chewing made it hurt. I had a lot of yogurt and applesauce. I drank Carnation instant breakfast. It really wasn't bad. By 3 days later it was only a tiny bit tender.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:52 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Lots and lots of soft foods. I lived on Hummus, soup with no chunks in it, jello, yogurt, etc. But I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out at once. As far as after care, just take it easy, and make sure you get a list from the dentist telling you what your "can and cant's" are. The few days after were foggy, so I don't remember exactly what was on the list. Good luck, don't be scared. You'll feel better in the long run. I know my wisdom teeth were a major source of pain for me.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 7:53 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I've had all 4 out. They should send you home with a list of foods you can have. Ask for one if they do not mention it. As someone else said, do not use a straw and do not smoke. The sucking action can disturb the clot that will develop in the socket. That clot should not be disturbed while the area is healing. I wish you all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:21 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I had two of mine removed when I was 17 yrs old. I lost 20 lbs and I didn't really have 20 lbs to lose. Partially because I couldn't eat and partially because I had a horrible allergic reaction to the penicillin that they gave me afterward to ward off infections. I was very sick for a long time. But I'm sure that won't happen to you :)

Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I had all 4 of mine removed at the same time. If I remember right I was on a clear liquid/soft food diet. No straws though for drinking. Also about that same time I had my tonsils removed so I may confuse myself here. I remember jello, and pudding and soup. You'll get a list of recommended foods and things to stay away from. Make sure your caretaker pays attention. I was able to get up out of the chair and walk out the door under my own power, but to this day (almost 10 years later) DO NOT remember ANY of that. I vaguely remember leaning against a stair rail waiting for my escort to bring the car around. Part of that though is because I elected to be completely knocked out for the procedure.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:56 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• soft foods like soups, eggs, jello, pudding, yogurt.
    you will have to rinse with salt water several times a day.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 7:56 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• They had to drill off all 4 of mine and did them at the same time. It was not fun, but I just ate lots of mushed food for a few days. Warm was fine, but hot was not good and neither was cold for me. Definitely no drinking from a straw though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• In addition to the soft foods (eggs are good too), follow the directions on cleaning the area. My dad didn't follow that direction and ended up with dry socket as well.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:58 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Your c-section was a piece of cake????? Oh we don't have the same pain tolerance level!!!! :)
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:58 PM on Feb. 20, 2011