How do u deal with a 7yr old boy who doesn't care about school, refuses to do all work daily, throws horrible temper tantrums, hitting, biting, and kicking me, and screaming at the top of his lungs sayin I am tryin to kill him and I haven't even touched him? By the way I am homeschooling him, and have disciplined him everyway I know how to legally, he is drivin my husband and apart due to stress of the situation. any help would greatly be appreciated....

Audra79

Asked by Audra79 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would, at this point, go to his pediatrician and get some referals if he is having behavior management issues. Is this the reason you are homeschooling him? It's just my opinion, but I feel children sometimes do better when they are around other children to see how it is common and appropriate to act socially. That is one reason I feel school is important, more for the social education. Good luck.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:20 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• You need to get him and your family counseling to work out this situation. Why are you homeschooling?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• This is one of the biggest problems with homeschooling, in my opinion. Kids are just different with their parents. Can you try him in public or private school?
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• It is because of behavior that I took him out of regular school they couldn't deal with him
    Audra79

Comment by Audra79 (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• What does his pediatrician say about him? Just because one teacher couldn't deal with him doesn't mean another can't.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:27 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I have made an appointment for next month wont know what the Ped. will say till then, last visit the doc said he was below average on his size and lacking on some speech skills and slow on some learning skills....going to do a full head to toe checkup to nail this problem in the bud....can't take anymore of the stress
    Audra79

Comment by Audra79 (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Have you had him evaluated and at least ruled out the possibility of an autism spectrum disorder?! His behaviors sound like that may be the issue! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:46 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I worked with behavior health clients and have a degree in the field. That is crap a school will not allow him to be there. Number 1 it is his right to be there. They are doing a huge disservice to him. It's called THe No Child Left Behind Act. He needs to see a developmental psychologist. I would get on this, not wait until next month for your pediatrician. Sounds like he has developmental delays. Not sure what state you live in, as the titles are different as well as services available and provided. But he may need a Mobile Therapist a/o a Behavior Specialist Consultant...they would be in charge of his behaivor modification plan. They also work in conjunction with the teacher at school to do an IEP. If you have any quesitons feels free to msg me. I wouldn't jump on autism, or get worried from what people here say. A psychologist needs to see him. He may need to be in a special education setting with teachers trained for this
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• If he doesn't have any learning disabilities or a personality disorder, I would consider meeting with the school to find out what kind of a behavior management paraprofessional they would have available to work with your child. I'm sorry you are going through this.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 9:38 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I would take him to go see someone to see if something is wrong with him for him to act out like this. It could be something simple like the hearing.

kalynskorner

Answer by kalynskorner at 9:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2011