Child's Dresser Drawers

Do you have yours mounted to the wall? we do as one almost tipped over one day & was really scary. A very important thing to do.

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 8:27 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ours are, and its easy to do. And if the dresser wasn't movable and 150 pounds, I would have even more reason to do it. 150lbs can be tipped if the conditions are right. Kids don't just climb them...as they get older, they also play on them, leap off them, all sorts of things you wouldn't even begin to imagine. And 150lbs is crushing.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 9:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• No but my dds dresser is solid oak and I couldnt even tip it lol. But def a good step to take!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:28 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• We did it after he climbed it and tipped the tv off the top on his head. Luckily didn't hurt him.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 8:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• We never did (and our boys are past the climbing stage now), but that's because they were solid oak (we bought unfinished and finished them ourselves), and they weigh at least 150 pounds each, empty!! Both the taller 5 drawer dressers and low 8 drawer dressers are wide and long (adult sized furniture), so they weren't top heavy, and the only thing that was ever on top was a CD player and their lamp--so nothing of interest.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:43 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• No I wish it was though
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 8:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• No and I've been a bit worried about this. However, her dresser is heavy and I think that it would be quite difficult to tip. Also, she's never alone long enough to have a wrestling match with her dresser to make it happen. It IS a very good consideration for parents who have tall bureaus though to ensure safety.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:20 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• The old dresser I had for my son no. When we got it i hung from the corner of it with my full weight, and it didn't budge. So there was no way it was going to fall even if he scaled it. When he decided to pee inside that dresser (funny now, but then I could've wrung his neck!) the new one we bought was much less in weight, and it did in fact fall on him when he scaled it. I just moved it out of his room and into mine, and it solved the problem. It was just easier then mounting it.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:51 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Yes, my oldest had a very heavy dresser but he opened the drawers and then started climbing up them - with the drawers open and THEN weight int them, even the heaviest dressers will tip. And the heavier the dresser, the more potential for hurting the child! My son's fell over on him, fortunately he didn't get hurt worse than he did (the lamp hit his head and gashed it open, but other than that he was okay). Now we always bolt ours to the wall.

Answer by missanc at 8:30 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• yes but they can try & climb the drawers thats scary & that can tip it over
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 8:30 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• omg lstrickland thats exactly whey it needs to be done its scary when it happens better safe then sorry because if you are not there to help the situation it could be a very serious thing. Glad your boy is ok.
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Feb. 20, 2011