How can I..

..get my 1 year old to stop turning the faucet on in the tub? He thinks it is funny and I will move him to the other side of the tub but he gets up and walks back over there and turns it back on. So far he has only discovered the cold faucet but I want to put a stop to it before the finds the hot one.

LeslieNBreaux

Asked by LeslieNBreaux at 8:35 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You just have to be consistent with it, as you do with everything with little ones.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:38 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Find a way to safely show him if he turns the hot he's going to get hurt. He's not comprehending the danger involved, so to him its a fun game. Let him see you turn on the hot faucet, with a very serious look on your face. Make sure he's not in the tub, but on your lap. When the water is very hot, place his hand CLOSE, NOT UNDER so he can feel the steam. DO NOT BURN HIM, just show him how its very hot, ouchy, make sure you emphasize NOT to touch. Use his vocabulary, but in very direct language let him know if he plays with the water, he will get burned, he will go to the hospital, and it will cause pain. Once he comprehends the danger he won't think its a game, and he won't continue to mess with it. And then so as not to cause confusion don't let him touch the cold either, which it sounds like you're already doing.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Be consistant. Keep up with it and keep letting him know that he's not allowed.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:46 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• they probably sell something you can put on there. like the door knob things
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 12:56 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My DH set our hot water heater temperature to a temperature that is hot enough for a shower, but not too hot to burn our DS, even if only the hot is on. So, if my DS turns on the hot water, he won't get burned. Also, as mentioned above, we told him over and over not to turn on the water. He just asks us now if he wants it on.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 5:43 AM on Feb. 21, 2011