C Section dissolvable staples question?

Hello. I had my C section 3 weeks ago. Today I was laying in bed and realized I could feel them.. I almost felt like a couple were close to coming out of the skin. I figured that they would have dissolved already. It's pretty creepy. How long do they take to dissolve? Also, I am breastfeeding and it just seems like I am feeding alllll day. It's absolutely fine, just wasn't sure if that's normal. My nurse assured me that you cannot overfeed a breastfed baby. As long as they aren't spitting up, it's fine. I am feeding my baby all the time. It's all he wants. Haha. Thank you for all your answers. :)

miranda_nichols

Asked by miranda_nichols at 8:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The staples aren't made to dissolve. They have to be removed with a speical tool at the Dr's office. After they are removed Dr's generally put steri strips over the incision. Have you not seen you Dr. since you came home? You need to see your Dr, tomorrow.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• They use dissolvable staples now. They use those on your uterus and just use a glue on your outside incision. There is nothing to take out. They just started doing that awhile ago. I'm not sure I'm a fan. I'd rather have staples on the outside like they used to do.
    miranda_nichols

Comment by miranda_nichols (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Whew.. I was worried you meant external staples..LOL If you are BFing your uterus should return to normal size in 4-6 weeks so there should be less of an issue feeling them soon.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I would recommend calling your doctor. I had that same feeling but I had staples. I just had my 3rd baby by C-section as well and I didn't get dissolvable staples...Hmm? My doctor says that they get the incision closed better and straighter with the staples. But they hurt terribly and itch too. I got my staples out in about a week and now I can barely see the incision.

As for breastfeeding what seems like all day, it is normal. I m breastfeeding my 3rd baby and I feed him every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I feel like thats all I do and my baby is four months now and he still eats all day and night.

Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 10:38 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Consult your doctor, get them checked to avoid health issues later on....
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 10:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Well, it doesn't always go great. My incision didn't heal until 6 weeks PP. Just keep it clean and that's really all that you can do.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:06 PM on Feb. 20, 2011