Being laid off

Has this happened to your hubby? how did ya make out through the tough time?

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 8:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• My husband gets laid off seasonally from his job. During the winter months his place of employment doesn't get the same business as it does during the summer, so they have to lay off some of their employees. DH is one of them. We keep the same budget and habits we do all year 'round, so that when he does get laid off we're already practicing the same low budget methods. Which allows us to keep going at our living pace without sacraficing anything that we need/want. Now, I know that our situation differs greatly from those laid off. However, you can still follow the same guidelines.

1. NEVER live above your means. What you don't need, you DON'T need.

2. Always grocery shop for a two week period to a month. It saves you money in the long run. Buy less prepared and frozen meals, because they cost more and don't last as long. Make all meals from scratch if you can.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• It happened to me, for I was laid off from my teaching position. We are making it thanks to UE compensation. Hopefully I find a teaching position this school year.

Anonymous

• 3. I STRESS if you don't need it you don't need it. Living expenses include car insurance, mortgage/rent, utilities, car loan, etc. They DO NOT include subscriptions, cable, expensive cell phones and plans, movie rentals (netflix or otherwise), pampering (mani/Pedi, etc)... Don't live outside your means.

4. Weat it until it wears out. There's no need to buy new if what you have is in good shape.

Now, to live on unemployment is rough, but not impossible. You have to realize your priorities and know how to budget them wisely.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My spouse and I lost our jobs within a few weeks of each other. We both started our own businesses.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:46 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I'm sorry, I know how you feel. My DH lost his job in March of 2009. He thankfully found a job 6 weeks later. Unfortunately, he isn't making what he used to make. We are firm believers that everything happens for a reason and that God has a plan for us. I started working from home to help us out.

Best wishes to you and your Hubby!
    www.ErikaCarrillo.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 12:39 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My hubby got laid off about 21/2 yrs ago .. he applied for jobs everywhere and couldn't find anything full time, so we both started doing a paper route part time. It was exhausting and I was still working full time .. it was so bad that I was falling asleep at my regular job because paper routes have to be done in the middle of the night, so it seriously screwed with my sleep pattern.

Last year I sign up with PrePaid Legal and shortly afterwards, quit the paper route. I can work my PrePaid Legal business during "normal" hours and sleep all night now! Hubby does PPL with me.

And during that time the only thing we could cut back on was groceries, so we ate a lot of mac n cheese, tuna, pbj, and soup n crackers.
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 1:41 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• my hubby got laid off about a month ago. we have applied for pa and still waiting on it and he is going to file for unemployment soon.it was supposed to be temp lay off so he didnt apply right away just incase, but now tax return money is almost up and rent needs to be paid soon.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Yep! And it was super stressful. We were lucky that we had an emergency fund. We figured with my job, our emergency fund, and him selling plasma we could make it for about a year. Luckily he found a job shortly after that.

My suggestion would be to create a budget that has basic living expenses on it ONLY. Nothing else gets spent until the basics are met. Start looking around the home for things to sell. And really consider which things are needs and which are wants.
    Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:15 AM on Feb. 22, 2011