Baby signing?

Does anyone out there do sign language with their baby and if so how did you get started, how long did it take, what age did you start, and does it help to keep your baby's frustration level down?

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 10:14 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used baby sign with both my kids and started as soon as possible! Keep in mind that their hand/ brain coordination will not let them sign right away. I think it was around 10 months on before my kids started to sign and then it was just the easy signs like "milk" and "all done". The more complicated ones are after a year.
    It does help though. My daughter started speaking complete sentences at 16 months, but my son would only grunt and sign until age 2. Even now though, my son is 5 and DD is 3 and I still use it. It keeps me from yelling and I can sign from the playground or across a crowded room and they know what I'm saying without me having to say a word!!
    I would recommend "Sign 2 Me". It comes with a video, book, and quick reference guide and was well worth the money!! ($45, I think)
    son_and_moon

Answer by son_and_moon at 10:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I did. It's been VERY helpful. Still is and she's 27 months old now.
    You can start at any age. Start with a few simple signs - milk is a good one.
    I used the videos "My Baby Can Talk". There are three in the series. They are very simple videos and give easy ways for YOU to remember the signs as well as being full of nice video and audio for the baby. I really liked these since I had a hard time remebering what the signs were or how to do them when using a simple printed sheet or book pictures.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2008