Does anyone know what the laws are about telemarketers and harassment

I have had the same company calling me for THREE Months telling me to buy an extended warranty for my vehicle. They call at all hours of the day and night, sometimes multiple times a day. I have told them to take me off their list thousands of times and they keep calling. Does anyone know if I can legislate against this kind of harassment and if so how? (ps they are calling my cell)

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 10:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Money & Work

• I would change my cell phone number they should do it for free just tell them what the situation is
    tatalalicious

Answer by tatalalicious at 10:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• the problem is I would have to contact a bajillion people to get it all changed. My son is 9 weeks old and has a handicap and sees several specialists. Thats a lot of time and effort and hassle for someone else violating my rights
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• OMG!!!! THEY GOT ME TOO!!!!

It has been driving me crazy!!!! Ok, so you can call back some of the number and hit 1 to be deleted from their list. Or sometimes it just says sorry we called you! WTH!!! My cell phone service blocked three numbers from me.

I have been trying to figure this out. I am keeping track and so far they have called me from over 15 different numbers.

Let me know if you figure anything out!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Telemarketing And Cell Phones
    While the idea of having our cell phone numbers bombarded with telemarketing calls is horrific, the good news is that it isn't true. Cell phone numbers are not only published publicly the way landline phones are, but telemarketing to cell phones is also illegal.

Several phone companies been discussing the idea of creating a 411 database for cell phone numbers. Such a database already exists for other telephone numbers, which makes it easy for people you want to talk to to get your number. The assumption was that with such a database for cell phone numbers, telemarketers would also be able to quickly access the information.

Anonymous

• Even if such a database is ever created (and at this time, companies say the concept is only an idea being considered), telemarketers could not legally make unsolicited calls to cell phone numbers. Most telemarketers use either automatic telephone dialing systems and/or pre-recorded voice messages.

However, it is illegal to use either of these methods to contact cell phone numbers, pager numbers, etc.

You don't have to be on the Do Not Call list to receive legal protection for your cell phone numbers. However, it's still a good idea to be careful about passing out your cell phone numbers. When you're signing up anything through the Internet, you should avoid entering your cell phone number if at all possible. In most cases, this information is optional - and you want as little of your personal contact information floating around the Internet as possible.

Anonymous

• While you don't have to add your cell phone numbers to the Do Not Call list, adding your land line phones to the service is a good idea, especially if you're frequently harassed by telemarketers. Keep in mind that you have to be registered on the list for 31 days before you can make complaints about any unsolicited phone calls you have received.

Additionally, you need to remember that any company that you've done business with in the last 18 months is allowed to call you, as are non-profit organizations and telephone surveyors.

The down side of the protection that cell phone numbers have by not being publicly available is that it can make it more difficult for us to track down people who call us, particularly people who use their cell phone numbers to harass us. You can find these individuals using their cell phone numbers by using Reverse Phone Detective.

Run a reverse cell phone lookup now. try googling this topic
    Anonymous

• go to donotcall.gov and put your number on a DO Not Call list. It is illegal for them to call you if your number is on the list.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 10:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I had to put my cell phone numbers on the Do Not Call list because telemarketers were calling on my cell too!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 10:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• See if you can put your cell phone on the national do not call list. i think that information can be found in your Attorney General Office website.
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 9:23 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I called my phone company to get the # for the national no call list. It really worked at my house. All the calls stopped.

strongmom40

Answer by strongmom40 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 30, 2008