How do i get my two yr old to stop sucking on her fingers? Not as easy as a pacii.

beautifulkirei

Asked by beautifulkirei at 9:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would let her suck on her fingers for now, especially if y'all just gave up the pacifier. Otherwise I would just reach out and gently remove her fingers from her mouth calmly and quietly saying: No, please. Or some other mild statement.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I had to break my daughter from thumb sucking. I did it when she was still in her early 1st year stage. When I cought her with her thumb in her mouth, I'd pull it out and say no-no. She eventually got it and now that she is 2 1/2 she no longer sucks her thumb.
    charmd18

Answer by charmd18 at 9:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I would put pepper on fingers and walgreens has a nail biting nail polish and it taste nasty you can put on fingers and i am sure the baby wont put in mouth.

kalynskorner

Answer by kalynskorner at 9:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My nephew had a really bad habit of that, eventually my BIL found this stuff (can't remember the name of it, but it comes in a small nail polish type jar) you can put on there finger(s) and is all natural, non toxic, odorless, but has an awfull taste, so everytime he put his finger in his mouth he pulled it right back out. He stopped doing it in about 2-3 days. That is what I would do...
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 9:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• my Pediatrician just said to ignore it and she will give it up when she is ready. The bigger deal you make of it the more they will want to do it. I had a cousin who's dad tried to make her quit and she went on to suck her thumb until she was 12 years old!
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 10:11 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Just ignore it and let her decide when she is ready to stop. It is a comfort for her.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:53 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I really don't think that you can.........it's her finger after all. The hot sauce and other approaches people take I think are awful. I think the bes thing to do is to make her/him feel like a big kid and that thumb/finger sucking is for little babies....;this way, they make the decision themselves. Just a thought!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:46 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• She'll stop eventually. Just ignore it or let her suck on a wet washcloth. My dd used to LOVE to have a wet washcloth.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:18 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I doubt that "sucking on fingers is for babies" will work, since my mom used to say that to me about my thumb, and I just thought she was beinb mean. I sucked on my thumb until I was 5. I stopped so that I could get my ears pierced. My mom tried putting aloe vera on my thumb, which tasted yucky. I don't think that's what ultimately stopped me, although it might have been what stopped my sister, who also stopped around 5.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 6:22 AM on Feb. 22, 2011