Do you think the Wisconsin governor will cave?

Walker has been targeted by protesters for nearly a week for negotiating a bill now in the state Senate that would require workers to increase their contributions to pensions and health care coverage, would limit collective bargaining rules and tie raises to inflation. Senate Democrats fled Wisconsin to avoid voting on the legislation.

The Republican governor said that while the state enjoys a lower-than-average unemployment rate -- about 7.5 percent compared to 9 percent nationally -- about 5,000-6,000 state workers and 5,000-6,000 local government workers will find their jobs on the chopping block as the state looks to close a $3.6 billion biennial budget gap.

Is it worth a job?

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 9:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I hope not. NC is talking about teachers taking a 5% pay CUT. These WI teachers are at least just being asked to contribute to their pension which is money they will get back. NC teachers just will take home 5% less. I won't be marching on Raleigh though. It is take the cut or loose my job. There is another teacher waiting in the wings to take my job. (S)he won't care about the 5%. (S)he will only care (s)he has a job.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I sincerely hope he doesn't. And if he does, I think the teachers that called in "sick" but went to protest should be on the chopping block. Although I know that won't happen.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 9:56 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Didnt he get voted in by the MAJORITY to do exactly what he is doing? I really do believe this is going to bite the Dems AND the unions in BUTT :) I REALLY hope he doesnt!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I sure hope not!

Imo, redistribution/loss of your money, is going to be required from everybody; just because people are members of a union, doesn't mean they get a free pass but the Pres. can always give them a waiver...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:29 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I really don't think he will. I have said that he should and just start at random picking people out of the crowd to lose their job. Yes I know it doesn't work that way but it puts it in perspective. Is it what they really want?
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• IMO, they should fire EVERY teacher who missed work to attend the protests, and I hope he doesn't cave.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:50 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I hope not (in fact, I'd like to see more states follow suit). I also agree (have already stated) that every teacher who wasn't in school teaching, and who can't prove they WEREN'T at the rallies, should be the first ones fired.

Personally, I'd make anyone wanting into the rallies sign in ... with picture ID ... so there was no question about which teachers are there.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:28 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• No I don't, if he did it would only make the unions stronger.

They are already strong enough, they already own the president, and the rest of the democrat party.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 12:19 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I hope he doesn't. I'd like him to pull a PATCO, like Reagan did, and fire every striking teacher AND every lawmaker that fled the state to avoid voting!!
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 6:54 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I sure hope so. He can't target union that didn't support him and not give the same restricts to the unions who did.
    He isn't playing fair. Let's stop the BS from the top down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 AM on Feb. 21, 2011