Questions about second c sections??

with my first i ended up having an emergency c section because after pushing for 7 hours they said my borth canal was too narrow and his head was tilted so since ive already had a c section and im pregnant with my second will they just sutomatically assume im going to be having another c section? will they ask me? how does that work? do they just schedule you on your due date to have you induced and have another c section??

mbright3747

Asked by mbright3747 at 9:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I am also having another csection, but my dr scheduled it for me at 38 weeks.
    libas.mommy

Answer by libas.mommy at 9:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Depends on your OB. Usually, they will just schedule you at 38 or 39 weeks. You go in, get an edipdural, and it is soooooo much easier than an emergency C! Or, if your OB does VBAC, he will monitor you and maybe let you try again vaginally. You can ask about his/her policies.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• You can talk to your doctor about a VBAC and see what he/she thinks and what the risks might be. Usually, yes, they just assume c-section, but you can see if a VBAC is a possibility for you. Good luck!
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 9:52 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My son was also an emergency C-section. I found that out later when we went BACK to the surgeon to find out if it would be possible to do a VBAC. That is also when I found out the major reason for the C-section was that my "bony structure" was too small to fit his head through.

Your doctor SHOULD ask you what YOUR preferences are, and if s/he doesn't find another doctor. My daughter wound up being a planned C-section because we didn't like the 50/50 chance we were given for the successful VBAC. It was planned/scheduled the week before my due date. Good thing too, her head was the same circumference at birth as her brother's.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• In your case, they might tell you to opt for another c-section because of the circumstances with your first baby. I know there's doctors that will talk to you about a vaginal birth after c-section, but a lot of doctors will go more for the c-section (some doctors/hospitals won't even do VBAC's). Make sure you talk about your options though, it's your body, your baby, and you want to make sure you do the best for both of you. I'm a c-section mom myself. If you do decide to have a c-section with your second, they'll schedule a day for you to come in, and it's really a breeze, nothing like an emergency c-section.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:03 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I had an emergency c-section because the patosin (the medicine to help dilate me) stopped my daughter's heart. Because I'm going to Kaiser again their policy is once you have a c-section you have to have the rest c-section. Even though it's been six years since I had my last baby.
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 10:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My first was not really an emergency c-section, but it definitely was not planned. I labored for 24.5 hours and only got to 5cm. Turns out she was descending awkwardly into my birth canal and her forehead was caught on the lip of my pelvic bone, also kind of preventing me from dialating any further. So, for my second, they asked if I wanted another c-section, but I said natural. Then my doc told me he wouldn't let his wife or daughter do it, and told me about all the risks, so I caved and did a repeat. So I've had 4 total. They have always scheduled at 38 and a half weeks or so, but I went at 36 weeks with my 2nd, because my BP shot up. It's much easier when it's planned, too. You know exactly how it's going to go, and everything is pretty routine.

My last doc said I looked perfect inside, though, and said he would be more than happy to have me as an OB patient again. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:09 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• You will discuss a vaginal birth & avoiding a repeat cesarean, that it;s safer, maybe how to avoid asinclitism if you're concerned about the past.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:29 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I'm sure they will probably recommend a c-section based on why you had one with the first. They will probably schedule it early so you don't go into labor. It is always up to you want you want to do though. I had a scheduled c-section with my first just because of her size. I'm hoping for a VBAC this time around and all the doctors in my office are very supportive and encouraging about it.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 3:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2011