My daughter decided to break out of our house during nap time...

I had to leave to take my son to the ER who was sick, and my husband opened her windows so she could wave and say bye to me. Well, after that he put her down for a nap, and she had been playing in her room....but as long as she has "quiet time" she's fine. Well he noticed she wasn't making any more playing noises so he went in, figuring she had passed out playing or got up into her bed.
The screen was popped out and my DD was NOT IN THE ROOM. He went outside and a policeman comes walking up the street with our DD.

I don't know what to do anymore....if we go outside she runs away from us, to the street or wherever she can. Does anyone else have this problem with their kids?

Needless to say, the doors are kept locked at all times, and I guess now we can't even open the windows in her room or she'll haul butt down the road. I'm afraid that something is going to happen to her. When do they learn consequences of actions.....when does it actually click on in their brains? I'm so afraid for her. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh . . . probably closer to five. I know how scary it is . . . .I have a little girl who was like that, too.

Keep on telling her that she always needs to be with an adult. She cannot leave the house without an adult. It will "click" within the next few years.

hang in there, mommy . . . she will grow to be delightful :)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My kids have always had seperation anxiety ever since they were babies so i havent dealt with this. Good luck and heres a bump.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:01 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I had a safety lock placed on my door before I moved in. I didn't figure I needed to have it secured since I was home with her. That day I was cleaning and her and I were dancing around being goofballs with the music blasting. I got a phone call and went to the bathroom and when I came out, she was gone. I thought maybe she was hiding from me but she wasn't anywhere in the aparment. I flipped. The door was slightly cracked open and I was running up and down the stairs and halls looking for her. She had gotten about a block away and when I found her she was running up to me and laughing. Wooooo I was flippin. She did get a spankin for that and she hasn't done it since then. She's almost 4 now.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My son is the same way. He is very independent and curious. He also has no fear. We just moved inot an apartment complex and he has taken off a couple of times out the front door without us knowing. Now at night we put a large gate outside the front door in case he does open the door he can't get out because of the gate. I worry that he will get hit by a car or taken by someone. I tell him he needs to be with mommy and daddy when he goes out but he does not seem to care or is not listening. I would hate for something to happen to him.
    ladybug8964

Answer by ladybug8964 at 10:16 PM on Feb. 20, 2011