Do you believe that Adam and Eve caused sin and human suffering?

I've heard before that Adam and Eve caused human suffering because they ate from the tree of life or somthing like that and I just find that hard to believe. I'm not religious and I don't know much about the Bible, but a lot of things that I've heard doesn't make sense to me. People say that if I were to pray and ask understanding then I will be able to understand the Bible better, but I disagree. I've tried to read it before and it didn't make sense and I find it hard to believe that most of the events happened. If they did eat the apple. what does that have to do with us in this day and age?

cocobrown28

Asked by cocobrown28 at 10:27 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think Adam and Eve is a metaphor, and I don't really believe in the concept of Sin (as in a transgression against God or Original Sin). I do not believe the creation story literally happened. I don't mind reading the Bible, but I'm one to read it mostly as allegory with very little literal translation. There are many contradictions in the Bible in my opinion. There are some verses I find very inspirational too. I tend to prefer reading Jesus' words more than anything else, but there are other verses think hold 'universal truths' as many other sacred texts do as well.

I do believe suffering and life are interconnected. We all suffer at times. It's part of life. Suffering is caused by things like ignorance, attachment, delusion of self, craving or desires, greed, hate, etc. We have to let go of greed, hate, and ignorance to overcome attachment. I also believe we create our own Karma by our actions.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• No, I don't think so. I believe that narrative reveals to us a more transcendent truth, but isn't meant to be taken literally.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• No, I don't believe it at all , any more than I believe in ' original sin '.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:12 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Adam and Eve are just excuses. Fictional creation stories to explain why things are sometimes so bad or scary. They resemble so many other creation myths. But I think that some believers find them to be convenient scapegoats. Believers don't have to take responsiblity for the wrong they've done. They just have to lay the blame on a pair of fairy-tale characters and a talking snake!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Oh no.. Had Adam & Eve not been there the world could have been so boring............
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 10:30 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• No they didn't. They opened our eyes to choice. Before they ate of the forbidden fruit (not apple) we didn't know sin/unrighteousness. Once they ate of the fruit their eyes were opened. From then on they/we have the choice to be heaven/hell bound.
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 10:43 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• It was their lack of knowing who they are and knowing everything God had was right there before them that transformed everything. If they knew who they were and that their identity was in God then they would never have had to listen to the snake! So in their disobedient, yes it affected the very thing God created in the first place, a perfect relationship between them and God. It severed it and caused a huge separation which brought in death of the spirit man. It was Jesus that came to restore all this.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:25 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• yes, adam and eve did us in - God told them to stay away from the tree and they disobeyed and that was their (and our) punishment.
    Thanks A & E!
    (Yes, Eve took from the tree, but Adam could have kept her from doing it. just my opinion)
    autbot

Answer by autbot at 10:43 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Yes I do. In the fall of Adam, sin gained entrance into the human race. Sin entered into Adam's heart and then was transmitted into the blood stream of the human race corrupting all people after that. All humans are now born into the world with an impulse toward sin and evil. The Bible calls it "sin-nature".
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:01 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Adam and Eve where told If you eat from this tree you will DIE! so they knew the consequences and yet they still did it They choose to believe the devil and his promises that their will open their eyes knowing good from bad and be like God, so far it doesn't seem that humans have open their eyes or even know good from bad and as proof of that we have all our governments there are some better than others but none of them 100% fair
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 2:35 AM on Feb. 21, 2011