• In the Spotlight:

What to do with toddler while seeing a marriage counselor

Hi there,
my husband and I want to see a marriage counselor, but have no idea what to do with our kid during that time. We just moved moved here from overseas and don't know anyone around. All of our family is either 8 hours away or overseas. I am a SAHM, so going to see a counselor while our 2 year old is in day care is not an option.
I was wondering if there are any other moms and dads out there that face the same issue?
What did you guys do?
I was thinking of hiring a babysitter, but to be quite honest (and call me weird) I just don't like the idea of a stranger coming into my house and watching my son when he isn't able to communicate with me what's going on while we are not there.

Thanks!

januarymom81

Asked by januarymom81 at 10:30 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• Hey don't worry. So many of us will come up with so many ideas but as per me take the toddler with you. The toddler is not going to retain much of the things apart from the things that he/she sees at a counsellor's place. Ya why to let a stranger come in the house?
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 10:34 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Does your area have drop-in childcare? When you make the appointment, let the conselor's office know... I'm sure they've had couples in the same situation come in before.
    ( I see that you just moved from overseas... by chance are you military? They usually have childcare on bases)
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 10:38 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• A lot of larger cities have places that only do drop in care. There's one near my office called Right Time Kids. Could you get involved with something like Moms Morning Out, and schedule your appointment during that time?
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2011