*gasp* got this on facebook...did you get it??

I got this as an "event" here's what it says:

We're working on a website to help people access Facebook and Youtube from school. The site will be released in a few days!

To keep the site "under the radar" and prevent it from getting blocked by school filters, it won't be posted on the event page, but rather, it will be send out in an announcement to all "guests". So, you have to join this event (click "I'm Attending") in order to be notified when the site is released.

(Note, this is not a normal "event"; there is nothing happening at a specific time or place, and the event "date" was chosen at random. This "event" was create solely to be able to send messages about the site to people who sign up to receive them, since Facebook no longer allows you to create "groups" for this purpose.)

My name's Bennett and you can email me if you have any questions about the group or about the website once it's out! Happy Facebooking and YouTubing!

what the...how the....i hope to God someone says something to the schools...thankfully my kids aren't even in school yet or i'd march down there and inform them tomorrow. maybe they can find a good tech or ban internet or something lol. some schools are even using the ipad touch (we have one here that's testing it out to see if it will work) the reason being, it's cheaper than buying text books, it's less strain on the kids backs, and they don't have to worry about forgetting books, it's all right there. but they have internet on it, and they say it's good cuz if the kids don't know what the teacher is talking about, they can look for info online. instead of raising their hand and asking, or asking the teacher after class. what a crock. the kids are gonna end up on facebook all day. ne way, i'm off topic...

thoughts on the event?

~didn't know where to put this~

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 11:31 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I'm on Facebook all day and when my 12th grade daughter is suddenly online and she should be in school well she has some questions to answer, nobody needs to be on Facebook during school
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:31 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• ~*Argh*~... I don't let my kids do FB, MySpace, or any other social net working!!! I love that my 15 year old's school has a BLOCK on this trash because when he's home school is left where it belongs, including the drama, drama, and whatever else... other than his homework he brings home
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:38 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• At my local high school we could access facebook and YouTube during study halls. Plus, it's up to the parent to be paying attention to what their child is accepting on facebook.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• it's not the point of what they're accepting. it's the point that they're at SCHOOL. and study hall is for just that, STUDYING.
    armywife43

Comment by armywife43 (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Facebook is getting to involved in every area. Facebook is growing into "Big Brother" watching everyone. I saw a special news report about it. Facebook's goal is to accumulate as much information on as many people as they can. They change the privacy settings constantly. They have a ton of people working for them to gather the data. It is actually pretty scary when you think about.
    Momxoxoxo

Answer by Momxoxoxo at 11:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• That's ridiculous..but then again, so is the whole site. So glad I left!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:19 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Kids should not be allowed to use cell phones at school PERIOD!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:25 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• It's not going to stay under the radar, after all you got the message, can you imagine how many others did as well. Everything gets out sooner or later.

If the school's IT person has more than 2 brain cells, they'll be able to monitor what sites kids are visiting on the wireless network and they will put a stop to it.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:33 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I think you're overly worked up. When I read the title of your post, I expected something truly shocking - not a "group" that most likely won't pan out. It's not as though every student will ditch their studies in order to facebook all day. A vast majority of kids are still sitting at school with good old fashioned books. Also, it's not as though teachers are blind and ignorant and wouldn't catch on to a classroom full of facebooking students. I'm sorry, but "ban the internet!"? Lol. As I'm sure you know, Cafe-Mommer, the internet isn't the devil. It's actually quite useful in several school-related scenarios.

With all the wrong going on in the world - please, freak out about something truly awful.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:37 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I have to agree it sounds silly to freak-out over. Most of the times these things are hoaxes. If it turns out its not then the school's IT personnel are going to get the same message you did, and there are hundreds of teachers with children themselves who would catch on. Not to mention if hundreds of students are getting on the same site everyday, the schools gonna notice in like 2-3 days and ban it. We were always trying to outsmart the school in high school, it never worked. School computers are monitored, if you're not caught the first time, you are the second, and then a school wide ban is enacted. On the off chance its not a hoax, it's nothing to be upset over, it'll go away just as fast as the original facebook, myspace and you tube did.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 2:13 AM on Feb. 21, 2011