Any advice for ditching the paci?!

My daughter's almost two and still has a strong desire for her paci. When she was a baby, she had feeding issues so the paci was a very useful tool. Now, she doesn't need it. It helps when she's tired and it helps her fall asleep. i'd like to just do away with it all together but I don't think that would work. What are some of your creative ways of getting rid of the EVIL paci?! Hahaha.

Bubbles318

Asked by Bubbles318 at 11:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dental hygeniest got my little girl to give hers up. she came to her with a big envelope and said "wouldn't you want a little baby that does have a paci to have one? can you give her yours?" or something like that. my girl dropped it in the envelope and that was it. she was 1 or a little older. my son - we convenienced him that we needed them for his baby sister and it was a little harder for him.
    autbot

Answer by autbot at 11:35 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• i just now getting my 2yr old twins and three year old off thiers.. i took a tip from the Supernanny - i had them put all thier paci in a box and told them that we were giving it to a paci fairy and had them help me place the paci in the mailbox for pick up.. the next day i replaced all the paci with new coloring books and crayons. so far it has worked
    tripleblessed

Answer by tripleblessed at 11:37 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Hmm..that's a good idea. I'm also worried that it's messing with her teeth. Her two front teeth look like they're pushing away from each other. There's a space between them because she doesn't have all her teeth yet..but they're starting to look crooked..
    Bubbles318

Comment by Bubbles318 (original poster) at 11:38 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• OH. I LOVE THAT! I actually saw that episode of Super Nanny. Was that the one with the like, four-year old little girl? But I like the idea of swapping it out with something else.
    Bubbles318

Comment by Bubbles318 (original poster) at 11:39 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• that was just what I was going to suggest!! i love super nanny :P
    my other advice would be just throw them away. if you dont have any to give her, then you can't give in and give it to her. she'll cry for a while but eventually you'll be like ~remember when she had a paci
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• put a pinch of baking soda on it; baby won't want it after tasting that
    willepic

Answer by willepic at 12:26 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i read the tips on the slideshow on Stir. i haven't yet, but plan on trying one where paci goes in a build a bear. that way they can still sleep with it, just not in the mouth.

GOOD LUCK :)
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 12:53 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I just took it and threw it away. Just like that. I thought, " this is gonna be a long night..." It was a ten miunte cry and he never asked for it again. Never. And even if he did, he wouldve just had to cry until he fell asleep or got over it. Good luck!
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 2:06 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I saw the Supernanny thing too and that's what I was going to suggest. What I did for my dd though was I just putall of the pacis on a shelf that was too high for her to see above the stove. I never spoke of them again. The next day after I had taken them away dd was like"Where's my paci?" I said "I don't know" in a voice like I really didn't know and she didn't ask anything else about it. I was lucky lol. DD wasn't quite 2 yet though.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:16 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• my ds actually lost his last paci on halloween of 09'. he was just over 1 1\2. we took him aound the block, and by the time i knew it, he had dropped it somewhere and i wasnt gonna go and look for the next few hours eather. we didnt have money to go get new ones and he didnt make a big deal about it, so we never spoke of it again lol
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:14 AM on Feb. 21, 2011