How do i stop his fit throwing screamin tantrums?

our son is one and he just stated this last couple weeks this AWFULL scream and thorwing or smaking things even hiting the dogs. I dont know what to do. we have trye swating his butt makes it worse puting a finger over his like the shhhh deal nope more of a scream. Now its to ignoring the behavior but its not makeing it stop either. WE are lost???

Mem10

Asked by Mem10 at 11:39 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• temper tantrums are for an audience. put him in his crib/ playpen and leave the room. make sure you're in earshot, or can see him without him seeing you so you know he's ok. if there's no audience, it will stop sooner. afterwards, get down to his level and tell him that fits like that are not ok, they're not nice, that he needs to use his words. if you know why he was having the fit, explain it to him like this "mommy/daddy knows you were/are mad/upset about "insert problem here", but "insert reason why you said no, or whatever your reason was" it won't miraculously work after the first time you do this, it's a process, but he'll eventually get it. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• well first stay calm. dont feed into his hysteria. ive found if one of my boys is screaming and yelling, and i get hyper as well, it makes everything worse. theyre at the stage where they dont know how to handle their emotions so we have to teach them.
    recently I've started taking my drama queen to a quiet corner and telling him he needs to calm down.
    depending on why he's throwing the fit, i might stay with him to help him calm down and i"m always very quiet and soothing, ie rubbing his back sitting down at eye level.
    if he's doing it for attention or he was doing something wrong and i said no to him and that triggered a fit, i'll put him in his quiet corner to calm down by himself because i dont want to feed into it.
    try something for a while. it takes a bit longer than you would expect for somethign to start to show improvement. stay consistant. and stay calm. (i know, thats hard with toddlers lol)
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:46 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• ~*Walk Away*~.. they do it for the attention! Leave where it is they are doing it, they'll either follow you doing it, or stop until you return, or stop all together?

positive or negative attention is attention, regardless.. so whether you are begging, being mad, whatever the response... it give fuel to the fire
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I remember we were in a store with hard linoleum floors. My daughter was a little bit older than your son, but had decided to throw a tantrum right there in the middle of the store over who knows what now. I did not respond to her at all, stepped OVER her and proceeded to walk towards the door. Within steps she had gotten up and was following me out the door. She also started her "terrible two's: at about 16 months old.

He's testing you. The other thing you might want to try. As you seem him getting mad about a toy or something not going his way BE his voice. i.e. I'm so MAD!! that this block doesn't fit in the hole! That will label what he's feeling, and also teach him a way to express what's going on other than kicking and screaming. It has worked with BOTH my kids when they were pre-verbal.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:49 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Oh, if my son starts to get upset in the store, he gets a warning. If he continues, I put him over my shoulder and haul him out of the store, leaving everything we were going to buy. (If DH is there, he takes care of that part.) Then DS and I go straight to the car, where I very firmly tell him it is NOT okay to throw a tantrum like that. Normally when we get to the car, DS calms down immediately. IF I feel confident that he won't act up again, we will go back into the store. If not, we don't go back in.
    MY DH is not good at making our DS calm down when he gets upset, but I just tell him firmly what the punishment is going to be, and give him the 1, 2, 3 count down, and he always says "okay mommy", even if he's still sniffling a bit. I won't let him off punishment until he's stopped sniffling (normally about 30 seconds). Then I give him a hug, and tell him "good boy, mommy loves you," or some other similar thing.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 5:37 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Thanks alot for all your suggestions they all are going to be tryed cause the scream is soooo Painfull to hear and in public well all i know to do is say sorry for it and walk away.. .so thanks lots...
    Mem10

Comment by Mem10 (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Feb. 21, 2011