How much does the spinal really hurt?

I'm havign a c-section for medical reasons, so I won't be in labor or in any pain when I go in. Is it awful?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had shocks go down my legs they had to stick me three times. I wont get it again...
    Anonymous

• Well I obviously have too.... so that doesn't help by telling em you wouldn't do it again...
    Anonymous

• I have to have one too i just meant I wont get the spinal again Im going to get the epi or be put under. They both hurt the same a lot of pressure in your back and pain when they stick the needle in. You dont have to get rude.
    Anonymous

• I didn't know you had to have one, I thought you were just saying that. Anyways, I had an epi before... does it feel like that? I'm not allowed to be put under, they told em they only do that if its an emergency. Will your OB let you?
    Anonymous

• I dont know haven't talked about it. I'm going to in 2wks when i see her again.
    And yes they feel a lot alike. But like i said i would rather get the epi. thats what i'm going to get or i'm not having my baby. cause i had so many problems with the spinal. Its only suppose to numb you to your chest it numbed my throat. thats with i couldnt breath I was trying to throw up but i couldnt and started to choke. I just didnt like it.
    Anonymous

• That's scarey
    Anonymous

• Its not always bad. thatsjust how it went for me.
    Anonymous

• I have never had a spinal I have had an epi though n I have been told the pain is the same.
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 11:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• It pinches but it wasnt too bad.......the only pinch is the numbing medication, then they insert everything else but I couldnt feel it after that.

Have you ever donated blood, its like that......so not too bad!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 11:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Don't let the horror stories scare you....it's a pinch and some pressure, but it's over before you even really process the "pain" of it. Most people who "feel" like they can't breathe only have breathing problems because they panic....that's not in any way meant to discount the experiences of those who had real problems, but just to let the OP know that it's not common to have negative reactions to a spinal. You'll be fine....if you are having a really hard time w/ your nerves ask the Dr if they can give you something for it (maybe valium...or whatever's safe)
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:59 AM on Nov. 19, 2008