Being awake for a c-section

I'm so scared, this is my third but the other two times I was asleep... How bad is it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I have had bad times both times. My first I could feel most everything and had panic attacks. And with my second I couldnt breath. I am thinking about being knocked out for my next next month.
    Anonymous

• to me was not too nad just pressure. would have another one
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I think everyone is different. My mom had 2 c-sections and she said that they were not bad. A friend of mine only numbed on one side and felt most of it..
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I could see my husband and the big blue curtain and that was it! I could hear the doctors talking and they would tell me what was going on-if they thought I would feel it. They strapped my arms down lightly just to have access for blood pressure and IV. I just remember shaking and shivering a lot-I wasn't cold but they said it was just the epidural and other anasethia (sp?) going through my system. Good luck, you'll do great!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 11:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Aside from the mental anguish (I wasn't mentally prepared for a c-section), mine was okay. I imagine they will give you the antibiotics over time, instead of one big push like mine (it was an emergency c-section), which will be good, but being awake wasn't so bad. I could feel what they were doing, but it wasn't pain, just pressure, and I LOVED being able to hear his first cry, and holding him when he was 5 minutes old, and nursing him in recovery. I asked not to have my arms tied down. They did tie down the one with the IV to keep it in place (the IV kept plugging if I moved my hand the wrong way), but they did it lightly. I asked to have the sheet lowered when my son was lifted out, but they didn't (still bummed about that). They also didn't lift him over the drape to show him to me. Just make sure to tell them what you want, and enjoy that first cry!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I enjoyed the fact that I could still feel things, like I knew exactly when the baby was out before they even told me.....I figured that it was as close to actually giving birth as I could get and at least I got to feel something.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:55 AM on Nov. 19, 2008