Are you a Republican, Democrat, Independent, etc?

Since this is such a politically charged time in our nation, would anyone care to share their political leanings and how it impacts your life as an adoptee, first mother or adoptive mother? Do your political ideologies influence your beliefs about adoption? Do you think that one or another party has more influence over adoption laws, i.e. open records?

LilLizaJane

Asked by LilLizaJane at 10:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Adoption

• After you tell me what it has to do with adoption? Am I missing something here? Was OBAMA against adopting? Is MCCain adopted? Is OBAMA's children adopted? Was this even an issue, what letter or number was this issue?
    Anonymous

• Adoption wise, I am an Independent. I feel that you should be able to adopt any species you want.
    Anonymous

Well as a matter of fact Obama did bring up adoption in one of his debates.. that he wanted options for mothers. Also McCain has an adopted daughter, from Thailand or Indonesia I believe. I think Mother Theresa was supposed to be involved with this, when Mrs. McCain was visiting this country like 15 or so years ago. Our ideologies whether political or religious do impact our decisions and how we feel about certain issues.. it was just a question, am not quite understanding the 'bent out of shape' feeling I got from your 'answer', if I comprehended correctly.
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 11:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• O! and John McCain also adopted the Ex-Mrs. McCain's children from a previous marriage. Her name was Carol McCain, they divorced in the 70's I believe (or somewhere around that time, google Carol McCain), after he came home from Vietnam.
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 11:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• The biggest influence on our elected officials and adoption reform law is this group~

http://www.adoptioncouncil.org/about/about_hist.html

In 1980, Dr. William L. Pierce, Ruby Lee Piester, (once executive director of the Gladney) founded NCFA to oppose 'Model State Adoption Act' that had been produced by an Advisory Panel of the US Department of Health, Education, and Welfare

adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 5:02 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• this is what they opposed

Confidential, sealed adoption records would have been opened retroactively.

Unmarried men would have been given even more power to block women from making adoption plans for their children.

Pre-placement home studies, the minimum to be sure children will be placed in safe homes, would not have been required for all adoptions.

Against the advice of the American Academy of Pediatrics, among others, the minimum time for babies to wait in 'limbo' before their mothers could sign adoption papers was to be stretched out to two weeks.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 5:03 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• you can read more on their mission to keep records sealed here

http://www.adoptioncouncil.org/resources/privacy_concerns.html you will also find the links for both federal and state legislative activity.

and....try a google for the Catholic Conference in a state where Open Records legislation is pending and I "bet" something will come up. They lobby and oppose open records too
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 5:09 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My political views did shape how I feel about adoption. My political views shape who I am a professional social worker, therapist, and mother. I don't think that there is enough room on a post to go into my world view and how that alligns with my political perspective. However, I will say that while in school adoption was an issue that I did explore and studied in a class setting as well as the political and social issues surrounding adoption. My professional thought is one of a political consciousness that influences how I do interventions: there is a modality treatment where the idea is that the person is political. It is very complicated. But in a nutshell - I see the worl through that perspective and experience.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:06 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• cont..The good thing about my son's birthfamily is that they have similar perspectives on political issues as my husband and I do. In fact, had we not - our son would not be with us today. In the hospital room we briefly discussed political views. His family let out a sigh of relief when they learned about ours. In our particular situation it helps to have similar views and it would be akward in our ongoing relationship with his birthfamily if we did not share this. We do have differences.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:10 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• As a Christian conservative, I believe we are to help those less fortunate than ourselves. That is why we attempted to adopt older spec needs domestically and, even though that did not ultimately happen, I still run a group that makes blankets for kids in foster care. We did get the older spec needs child we wanted by going overseas. John McCain's adopted daughter had the same birth defect my son had. However, that was not what impressed me. My husband and I struggled long and hard in making the decision to adopt Ben. John McCain said yes to his wife's request to adopt the little girl immediately. That impressed me! My conservative values are a result of growing up in the welfare system.
    mommy22miracles

Answer by mommy22miracles at 10:25 AM on Nov. 19, 2008