How many cm do you have to be to be admited?

My contractions aren't regular. I was dilated 1/2cm 4wks ago. Had 4 contractions yesterday... 3 today. No regular timing. Get checked Friday. I will be 36wks. If my contractions aren't regular though... how much do I have to be dilated to be admitted? Just getting an idea of what might happen Friday.

sissy0604

Asked by sissy0604 at 12:10 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Usually 4.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:12 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• You don't want to deliver this early- Baby isn't ready yet! Try not to focus on labor so soon, mama!
    Usually around 4 cm, your contractions are pretty regular, and you're in active labor. That said, some women walk around dilated to 4 cm for weeks, or even months. Those checks seriously don't mean anything. Women can be closed up one day and holding a baby the next, or dilated to 4 for months. So don't put too much stock into that (you actually don't even need to have the checks done- they're just done to make women feel like they're progressing).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:15 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• With my first I was 3 cm, but having contractions every 3 minutes and was leaking fluid.
    With my 2nd, they thanked me for showing up, I was 8 cm.
    With #3 I was 4 cm.

Each time I was having steady contractions 3-5 minutes apart. That made more of a difference than the amount I was dilated.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:20 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I was admitted when my contractions were every 4 minutes consistently for an hour, I was dialated to 3
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:25 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Some hospitals go by your contractions which would be under 5 mins apart. My SIL's step daughter is dilated to 3cms right now and her doctor won't even talk about putting her into the hospital until she is 37+ weeks
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 12:39 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I aint trying to rush him. He is 7lbs now and measures as if he were a 38 weeks baby even though I'm only suppose to be 36 weeks. Doctors gave me the good to go anytime now. So I was just wondering when I got there Friday if I was dilated to 4-5cm but my contractions still weren't regular, if they would admit me or not. I'm a planner... Gotta know and figure things out before they happen, well as best I can. lol
    sissy0604

Comment by sissy0604 (original poster) at 12:56 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Everything I've heard/was told when I was pregnant with each of my kids was that the contractions had to be fairly regular and about 5 minutes apart. I dilated at home to 6cm with my son and when the doc finally saw me told me to be checked in within the hour. My daughter was a planned C-section.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:01 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I think you will want to be in labor.

;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:11 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• You can refuse to be admitted if you don't think you are in active labor. They'll usually admit around a 4, but if you have a history of things going quickly, some will do it sooner. However, I've known women walk out of the hospital dilated to a 5 because their contractions weren't regular, so they just went home until they picked back up. Leaving if things stop is always an option, unless your water is broken or you get an epidural early.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:05 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I was 2cm when I was admitted. In an hour I went to 3. And about 2 hours later I was 5cm and then literally 5 minutes later I was 10cm and pushing. I had no regular contractions or anything.. I was 37 or 38 weeks, I had two different due dates a week apart..
    BraydinsMommy09

Answer by BraydinsMommy09 at 4:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2011