Terrified of SIDS, am I the only one?

Every night I walk in to my baby's bedroom to give her a good night kiss and to make sure she is ok and asleep. She is 5 mths and recently began to roll over. Today I walk in and she is laying face down. I pick her up in panic and turn the light on and shocked! i rock her back to sleep lay her down and as im about to walk away she turns to her side and keeps turning till she again faced down! What can i do!!!?? I am freaking out. Am I the only one? Any pointers??

karminia

Asked by karminia at 12:28 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ~*Raises Hand*~... I am guilty... and it is why I sleep with my babies, I need to when I wake up in a cold sweat feel that they are still breathing
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:30 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My daughter died while sleeping with my aunt at 6 weeks old. She was an OB nurse and had plenty of education. Unfortunately if SIDS, true SIDS, is going to happen it will happen regardless if you're present or not. Regardless of your education or abilities to handle the situation, SIDS can not always be prevented.

Chances are if your baby is able to roll over on her own SIDS risk is greatly reduced. Just roll her back over when able and always lay her back first. Keep all unnecessary items out of the crib including toys and blankets. Encourage your baby to take a pacifier. They've been known to help reduce SIDS risk. Also keep a fan blowing in the room or directly on baby, just don't let baby get too cold. Don't cover baby up in tons of clothing, etc. It doesn't hurt to be a little cool.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:38 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• let her sleep with you, many babies sleep on their tummy, my son sleeps on his & I there fore make him sleep with me
    A11

Answer by A11 at 12:39 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I'm scared of SIDS too and I take every step I can to prevent it.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 1:01 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I worried the same way. I couldn't even count how many time I'd check on him a night. Heck, he's almost 17 months and I still check on him a few times before I go to bed and even if I get up to pee, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:03 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• yep, with my first he would not co sleep, he just wanted his own space. In addition to that, he would constantly flinch and panic on his back, so we finally let him sleep on his tummy. I hardly slept. Even though he slept in a pack n play next to my bed, the first time he slept through the night I woke up and saw the time on the clock and sat there and cried. I was so scared that if I turned around and looked at him, I would see him dead, about 30 min into this, he started to stir.

It gets better, but I think it is normal. even now with my kids being 7,5, 3,2 and 10 mo... I still sneak in once or twice a night and put my hands on their chest or back to feel them breath. But I don't lay in bed scared anymore.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:09 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• You're not alone, my baby isn't even here yet and I stress over it. I know they have sleep positioners that keep baby from rolling, but I'm not sure if I'll ever feel completely secure while baby is sleeping. I'm glad I'm not alone either.
    MommyMegO2011

Answer by MommyMegO2011 at 6:51 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• You are definitely not alone. I recently had an episode like that in my house, only my son is 4! lol I woke up and he had crawled in the bed with me, and it looked like he wasn't breathing. I flipped out! I grabbed him with my heart in my throat, and when he jumped, boy, I nearly cried I was so relieved. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:43 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• When they can roll over on their own, they are fine to sleep on their stomach. I stressed about it all the time. We have an awesome baby monitor that has a night vision camera and I would always hold it up to my ear to make sure she was breathing.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I had a min-freak out when I first found my LO sleeping on his tummy. And for a week I was checking on his constantly, even thought I know that it's okay as long as he rolls there himself. Just make sure you are following all of the recommended safety precautions: encourage back sleeping, no loose blankets, bumpers, pillows, or soft toys, fan to circulate the air, offer pacifier, and avoid overheating. My LO sleeps in a Halo Sleepsack every night, which is one of my favorite products.
    smittendorff

Answer by smittendorff at 11:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2011